|Singles, the / Better than Before|
|Album:||Better than Before||Collection:||Deep Storage 200703|
|Label:||Rainbow Quartz Internatio|
|Elias (Dr Furious)|
40 years later, I would never think that there will be a band that would aim at copying the Beatles (ca 1964/65). But check these mopheads out! Is this a Beatles cover band? Find me something original about this band. Sorry man, I don’t feel it. The lyrics are all cheesy. The vocal melodies and harmonies, and production (you hear that bass sound?) are a complete Beatles rip-off, the only difference is that these guys vocal range and abilities don’t come close to Lennon and McCartney. This falls short. Is it fun? Sure it is. Does it sound retro? Sure it does. But no passion. No originality. There’s more angst in two words sang by John Lennon than in 14 songs sang by the Singles. Hey, you wanna play something original, play the Beatles. They were a great fucking band, the greatest, you know?|
Play 7, 9, 13
1. Day tripper guitar leads
2. This sounds like the Replacements. Hear the backing harmonies? Pretty bad, uh? These guys can’t sing but neither can I.
3. Hand-claps. A hard day’s night meets I wanna hold your hand.
4. This is like marrying the early 60s with the late 60s Beatles discography.
5. The Beatles meet the Strokes
6. Cheesy dreamy pop. The vox suck
7. This rocks in an original way. Finally a ray of hope for this band.
8. Please Please me – Love Me Do.
9. Half of the guitar lead rips off Abbey Road, the rest is good
10. Ok, let’s borrow from Buddy Holly a little too.
11. A taste of honey.
12. Half of the songs in “Beatles ‘65” LP sound like this one.
13. You really got a hold on me
13. Ok, I like the guitar work here. Original. Pretty rocking.
14. This reminds of the Coral. Twangy ‘60s blues garage pop.