|Dj Wally / Nothing Stays the Same|
|Album:||Nothing Stays the Same||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Thirsty Ear Communication|
|Add Date:||2004-03-22||Pull Date:||2004-05-24||Charts:||RPM/Electronica|
|Week Ending:||2 May||4 Apr|
|1.||Wed, 28 Apr 04:||stirling|
|2.||Wed, 31 Mar 04:||stirling|
Beats mixed heavily with a freeform sax/flute jazz aesthetic. Unfortunately, DJ Wally doesn’t pull it off, and the release is boring and unmemorable. For beat junkies, the album is anemic. For jazz fans, the sax and flute riffs seem undeveloped, and often combine awkwardly. There are much better jazz/electronica hybrid artists out there - skip this one. |
- Captain Dee (Doug)
1. Short, atmospheric opening- flute and sustained synths
2. Opens with nice enough drum beat, disjointed sax. Occasional ominous sound effects that gel badly with the freeform sax. Song transforms into a different groove with flute and frantically repeated piano note. Cool.
3. Faster beat, playful flute. Repetitive. Piano chords
4. Chimes and a slower beat. Annoying buzzing sax sound in the back ruins the vibe. Temporarily replaced by equally annoying piano repetitions. There is a rockin’ break in the middle, though.
5. Plucking bass and slow flute. Short and boring.
6. Smooth, up tempo beat, saxes do their disjoint thing. Annoying, repeated bass line.
7. Ominous, muddled intro. Flute comes in. Again, mixes awkwardly with the dark, background texture. Repetitive bass-heavy noises makes you want to kick DJ Wally in the face. Decent groove at end when he brings in some piano.
8. Discordant, banging piano. This is just stupid.
9. Fades in and out jivin’ bass line with bizarre sound effects. Aggravating at times.
10. Funky bassline and drums, flute. Squeaky sound effects in back. It keeps feeling like the song should break, but it never does…
11. Water sounds, airplane sounds, flute, bass. Breaks into decent beat.
12. Jazzy xylophone-like noises, echoing sax, drums. Very short.
13. Distorted piano and jazzy chimes. Dizzying and discordant. Sound effects throughout.
14. Cool, trippy spaced out beat with speech samples. Switches back to more freeform flute boredom.
|1.||Hello (Intro)||8.||Matthew Shipp Solo|
|2.||A Day in the Life||9.||Paint By Number|
|3.||Nothing Stays the Same||10.||Shaken|
|4.||Thirsty Thrills||11.||I Spy|
|5.||Lessons Learned||12.||Maybe Just One|
|6.||A Night in Savannah||13.||A-Plus|
|7.||Out of the Blue||14.||Medley|