|Various Artists / Fast-Trak Holy No, the|
|Album:||Fast-Trak Holy No, the||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Dec 2003|
|Label:||Grand Theft Autumn Record|
|Add Date:||2004-05-03||Pull Date:||2004-07-05|
|Week Ending:||Jun 13||May 23||May 9|
|1.||Oct 19, 2004:||All This - And Mor! |
|4.||May 08, 2004:||15 Miles til Sunday |
Here Comes Sunshine
|2.||Jun 12, 2004:||The Literate Pop Fans |
My Super Pink Stars Will Mak
|5.||May 05, 2004:||In the Leaves |
|3.||May 16, 2004:||Catchy Without Kitschy |
My Super Pink Stars Will Mak, Arena Rock Cinema
|6.||May 04, 2004:||Cold Clammy Hand of Friendship |
This is a 2-EP-on-one-CD album covering two bands. Separate review to two parts.|
Coco B’s (tracks 1-6)
This is a resurrection of Elliot Smith. Every track corresponds closely with an Elliot Smith track… same soundscape, similar instrumentation, although maybe a little merrier (“Here comes sunshine” is an example for a song title that could never appear on Elliot’s albums. No pun intended). The songs are good, though, and rather eclectic. These guys can clearly write. All tracks are mellow. 1, 3, 5 are my favorites.
1. Sweet mid tempo indie pop tune, acoustic strumming, faint synth background. Mellow rhythm section added in the middle. Fades out w/1:30, comes back for last 1:20 that sound like a demo take on the same track.*
2. Distorted electric guitar and strange beats give way to a guitar/drum chorus. Mid tempo, somewhat louder. Short (1:39).
3. Sounds like Smith’s Rose Parade. Nice gentle acoustic guitar picking, nice electric guitar solo. Slow/mid tempo.*
4. Mostly synths, drum machines and one repeated sampled sentence.
5. Mid tempo, catchy second half, interesting. *
6. With distorted guitar background and quirky keyboard; guitar solo closes. Mid tempo.
Indie rock, guitar rock. Could hear some “My Bloody Valentine”-inspired vocals and arrangements, and some Who influences. Quite a few tasty rock treats in here, and two interesting instrumentals (.
7. High tempo, loud, Who-inspired soundscape.
8. Mid tempo. Acoustic guitar strumming opens but switches back to the prevalent electric sound. Somewhat gentler track. *
9. Instrumental. 2 ½ minutes of long, sustained keyboard notes, and weird sound effects.
10. Starts with long keyboard note, but soon drums and guitar kick in. Nicely layered mid tempo rock track. Somebody’s speech is sampled in the middle. Last minute: sound of people shouting.*
11. Another grand-sounding rock track. Big keyboard riffs, great guitar.**
12. Another instrumental. Same keyboard riff repeated over echoed effects, guitar background.