|Ai Phoenix / Driver Is Dead, the|
|Album:||Driver Is Dead, the||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2004-04-12||Pull Date:||2004-06-14|
|Week Ending:||6 Jun||30 May||23 May||16 May||9 May||2 May||18 Apr|
|1.||Sat, 05 Jun 04:||Mor|
Mor On - The Literate Pop Fan
|4.||Fri, 14 May 04:||Riina|
|2.||Thu, 27 May 04:||Katy & Murray|
|5.||Thu, 06 May 04:||Benjie|
Trip Over Zero
|3.||Sat, 22 May 04:||J & The Real L.P.|
15 Miles til Sunday
|6.||Thu, 06 May 04:||Katy & Murray|
AI Phoenix sound like Mazzy Star. Except they are Norwegian, singing in the official language of Norwegian rock – English. Like Star, AI Phoenix has that tortured lounge singer quality. Sort of an anti-Norah Jones. The tunes vary between super atmospheric with lots of synthesizer to sparse stripped down arrangements with heavy plotting base. But it never really leaves the slow-core vein and runs a bit long. Many of the songs meander, prompting music reviewers to get bored and fast forward to the next track. Lyrics are fine, but they don’t make me want to write poetry or anything. I like the song about the flower storm, number 4. The last song (13) is billed as a bonus track and rocks a bit, which serves to remind listeners what this album is lacking. – Matt M. |
Play this song*
1. Down-tempo - thick baseline over sparse electric guitar plucking, the hook is clever and understated.
2. Down-tempo – bigger sound, male back vocals. Accordion and slide guitar jump into the fray. Falls into serious minor tonalities.
3. * Mid-tempo – big organ and eclectic percussion. This song makes me feel like the atmosphere is pushing down on me.
4. * Mid-up-tempo – a pop song! (albeit understated and dark) Fun synth melody and everything. I like this lyric: “Flower Storm is here.”
5. Down-tempo – labored, dragging rhythm section. This song sounds like they are trying to musically express a burden. I wouldn’t play it if I were you.
6. Mid-down tempo – the title, “Killer, Killer RadioThriller” is awesome. The song is a boring instrumental.
7. Down-tempo – fluttering vibrato strumming on electric guitar. The chorus works well.
8. a minute of quiet noise
9. Mid-down tempo - weird false start. Super atmospheric.
10. Down-tempo – sparse, very Mazzy Star. Stand-up base. Meanders with some back vocals and strings.
11. *Mid-tempo – I like this – acoustic strumming and a sparse piano. Simple lyrics come in after minute. Only 1:51.
12. Down-tempo – Another good title, “hey, the driver’s dead, we cry.” This song is fine. Big sound with heavy synth and slow drum machine. A horn synth keeps sneaking in and sounding not quite right.
13. *Holy Shit! Bonus Track City! This is a good rock song duet that doesn’t fit with the rest of the album – it adds some variety the album could have used.