|Voodoo Child / Baby Monkey|
|Album:||Baby Monkey||Collection:||Deep Storage 200702|
Gee, Moby is out with a new album and he’s using a pseudonym. He says he wanted to make a sexy, straightforward dance record, but this doesn’t strike me as sexy.|
Textbook breakbeats and mid 90’s style techno. Drawn out stutter breaks, e.g. Fatboy Slim style. This is somewhat trite, uninteresting electronica (the type of music that tends to give electronica a bad reputation).
Track by track inside. If anything, try 4, 6 or 11.
- Captain Dee (Doug)
1. Steady beat. Repeated vocal sample starts and stops. More synths and beats layer in and out. Like a soundtrack to a nighttime city scene in a bad movie.
2. Fuzzy, robot-like synths complement the beat. No real melody. It’s like a bunch of computers are partying. And you wish you could ruin their monotonous fun.
3. Thudding beat that is somewhat muted. Warbling synth loop, ambient melody synths. Quiet animal-like sound effects. Slowly builds to an uptempo yet atmospheric end. Comes across as a subaverage Derrick May track.
4. Happier, uptempo feel. "Epic" synths melody. Long build and break. I like the synths, but wish he did a bit more with them.
5. I swear, this track was (badly) ripped from Derrick May. This sounds like early 90’s techno, with spacey synth melodies and robot-like sound loops.
6. Thudding beat, dramatic strings (electronic) slowly and rhythmic tweaking come in. Bass and another beat kick in, and you feel like you’re in the Matrix and it’s time to kick some ass. Strings solo in the middle.
7. Faster beat and symbol hits. Dark, badass feel. Highly tweaked electronic samples in the back. No melody till the very end. The soundtrack to a stylized racing scene?
8. Samples of "Uhh!! Yeah!" in back of a hard, funky, warble-y beat. Keyboard loops.
9. More spacey synths, with piano notes. All set to a hard beat. This could have really rocked with some more ingenuity.
10. Pounding beat, drones, no melody. Boring as hell.
11. Slow and quiet intro. Quiet but emotional synths come in. Very ambient despite the beat. Again, I loved the synths, but the rest of the song was so bland.
12. Long track. Extremely dreamy. Muted, hollow beat. Mellow synths wash over. This is almost pure ambient - you forget the beat exists most of the time (it later vanishes fully). A cool effect.
|1.||Gotta Be Loose in Your Mind||7.||Gone|
|3.||Take It Home||9.||Obscure|
|4.||Light Is in Your Eyes||10.||Last|