|Vetiver / Vetiver|
|Label:||Dicristina Star Builders|
|Add Date:||2004-08-30||Pull Date:||2004-10-31|
|Week Ending:||31 Oct||17 Oct||10 Oct||3 Oct||26 Sep||19 Sep||12 Sep||5 Sep|
|1.||Aug 28, 2014:||The Sunset Life |
|4.||Aug 31, 2010:||meltdown |
|2.||Apr 01, 2011:||microclimate |
|5.||May 16, 2007:||Where the Girls Are |
|3.||Jan 27, 2011:||Daydream Disaster |
|6.||Apr 18, 2005:||Lost and Found |
Local songwriter creates an interesting minimalist sound somewhere between acoustic folk and pop. You can sometimes here influences but they are way off in the distance, like alt-country, blues, and old British folk. Story telling is main gist of the lyrics. He’s pulled together a couple guests and some of the songs were written together with these people. Devendra Banhart plays on a lot the record and helped write tracks 4 and 5. Joanna Newsom plays on track 6. Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star) sings on track 8 and Colm O'Ciosoig (My Bloody Valentine) on tracks 9 and 11. |
**1. Short, minimalist, and slow with prominent cello. Catchy.
2. Nice intertwined acoustic guitars, one finger picking and one strumming. Some tapping or foot tapping for short percussion interludes.
3. Straight folk finger picking with hippy leanings. Is it 1971?
4. A bit faster and less minimal sounding with few lyrics. What lyrics there are “she wanted love, love, crazy love, love, love, love, love, crazy love’ are repeated and sung with more intensity. Goofy but fun.
5. Soft, multiple guitars, and multiple vocalists with Banhart’s voice showing up more prominently. Cello and violin somewhat answer the vocals.
6. Strummed guitar, nice violin, and Joanna Newsom’s harp. This is a slow summer walk.
7. Short. Strummed guitar and violin. Pleasant story.
**8. More old folk sounding finger picking. Male and female vocals.
**9. Poppy but still acoustic. Catchy with quiet guitar and nice violin/cello. Catchy chorus. There is a louder, more rock sounding chorus at the end were the drums come in.
10. Quiet beginning. Guitar, violin and cello sort of fade in. Track doesn’t change much or go very far.
11. Track wonders slowly with most of the sounds heard on the disc, drums, multiple guitarists, soft vocals, violin, and cello.
Good stuff. -mph
|2.||Without a Song||7.||Arboretum|
|3.||Feather on||8.||Angel's Share|
|4.||Amour Fou||9.||Luna Sea|
|5.||Los Pajaros Del Rio||10.||Belles|
|11.||On a Nerve|