|Boon, D & Friends / Outakes|
|Artist:||Boon, D & Friends||Added:||Jul 2004|
|Add Date:||2004-08-23||Pull Date:||2004-10-25|
|Week Ending:||Oct 3||Sep 5||Aug 29|
|1.||Oct 01, 2004:||Intrim Pop and Psych Throwdown |
In the Midnight Hour
|4.||Aug 30, 2004:||Dollar Bin |
In the Midnight Hour
|2.||Sep 01, 2004:||Brownian Motion |
|5.||Aug 27, 2004:||Distraction-Limited |
|3.||Sep 01, 2004:||Stirling's Approximation |
|6.||Aug 25, 2004:||Brownian Motion |
|Elias (Dr Furious)|
It is known that legendary Minutemen guitarist D. Boon (1958-1985) never put the guitar down. And so there are probably endless recordings of him jamming or playing at home or at parties. This RARE CD-R was addressed to me from D. Boon's friend and jam partner Richard Derrick, who also happens to be the only substitute musician to have played with the Minutemen at a live gig. The CD contains many out-take recordings, which in all reality are what record junkies refer to as "bootleg matterial". Like the previous CD (D Boon & Friends), the genius of D Boon shines through. The main theme here is BLUES and JAZZ, along with some experimentation with drum machines and synths. All excellent and radical ideas. Take a trip in D. Boon's mind. Most tracks under 1 min. Very cool.|
Play: 12 (Themselves), 9 (Midnight Hour), 11 (Vietnam), (3/4/5 in continuum)
1. Bluesy jam. Sparse percussion.
2. 15s of swinging flamenco-ish sound.
3. 48s of jazzy guitar; busy fingering
4. 32s of strange/angular bluesy chops
5. 39s of a failed synth-punk attempt
6. 100s of fucking around with the drum machine
7. 54s of noisy chaotic psyche keys
8. Working on the coda of a long synth jam?
9. Awesome 1 min cover of Wilson Pickett's "In the Midnight Hour". It rocks!
10. 2:20. Funky guitars and some serious slap bass action. Chaotic and all over the place.
11. I love this! Wonderful and jazzy. Punk vox. Jazz meets punk?
12. This awesome! First 2 min is aggressive blues drone... kindah like Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) or Hendrix way bluesy... then guitar lines turn to something that resembles Delta blues-sound and vocals go on with great sentimental contemporary indie-sounding melody (think Magnetic Fields, the Clean, Mountain Goats).
13. Uptempo bluesy number.