local indie pop. some good production/ orchestration makes this more interesting than their live show (seen them open for other bands twice). They remind me of other San Fran pop groups like the Mommyheads and John Vanderslice. lots of concentration on melody and there’s often a lead bass line. Initially I was unimpressed with this band and sub pop’s recent push behind them didn’t excite me either, but this CD has changed my mind to an extent. I’d start with 3, 11, 2
1. nice beginning. 3/4 time.
2. acoustic, glockenspiel, nice synths, nice production on the drums
3. good finger picked guitar part. electronic noises. good high harmonies
4. nice lilting acoustic guitar. a bit of a breakdown in the middle
5. this really reminds me off of one of the songs off of the Mommyheads s/t album (maybe Bellhop). strong lead bass line. electronic noises.
6. acoustic and voice for a couple minutes, then full band
7. quick backbeat, vocals drown in band
8. arpeggiated guitar with heavy bass.
9. phased production makes this sound like 60s psychedelic a bit. turns into a bit of a ballad for a bit. ends with some strange sounds
10. pretty standard pop fair complete with fadeout ending
11. banjo! whistling! I like the former a lot.
12. annoying lofi and disonant closer