Compiled by BBC DJ Charlie Gillet, these 34 tracks come from some of the major world music releases of 2004. Tracks range from the traditional and simple to a more global dance sound. I’m not sure that I agree these are the best tracks from their respective CDs, but it’s an interesting sample that might turn you on to a few artists you don’t know. It’s pretty good mostly, especially these:
2. Cows & accordions, how can you go wrong? Fun.
3. Arabic-fused dance jam.
5. Wonderful fem vox in a bluesy Fado. Relaxed, great guitar.
7. German café music w/a great retro sway. Very cool.
8. Uptempo Russian take on the Caribbean. Horns, vox, guitar.
9. Bouncy Congolese pop w/great vocal harmonies.
11. Malian blues w/super cool guitars & vocals.
15. More Malian blues, this time w/great male vox.
17. Sweet, jazzy, bright w/happy vocals & a nice energy.
1. Lush and slow, like a Jewish tango.
2. Upbeat dance groove.
3. Great sax & vox on this uptempo Afro funk track.
6. Slow & jazzy homage to Fellini.
7. Light & bouncy w/growly vocals & a fun sway.
8. Warm & bright Fado track w/gorgeous female voice.
11. Starts slow, gets fast. Great fem vocalist. Wow.
14. A happy thing, lightly funky Afro pop.
15. A big sound – Rai-based dance jam.