|Sweeney, Matt & Bonnie Prince / Superwolf|
|Artist:||Sweeney, Matt & Bonnie Prince||Added:||02/2005|
|Add Date:||2005-02-20||Pull Date:||2005-04-24|
|Week Ending:||24 Apr||17 Apr||10 Apr||3 Apr||27 Mar||20 Mar||13 Mar||6 Mar|
|1.||Wed, 04 Sep 19:||DJ Stace|
|4.||Wed, 07 Feb 18:||DJ Stace|
|2.||Wed, 17 Oct 18:||DJ Stace|
|5.||Wed, 20 Dec 17:||DJ Stace|
|3.||Wed, 28 Feb 18:||DJ Stace|
|6.||Wed, 07 Sep 16:||DJ Stace|
Dark appalachian neo-folk indie rock from the king of that genre (Will Oldham, aka Bonnie “Prince” Billy/ Palace) and a collaborator (Matt Sweeney). Apparently Sweeney was responsible for the music and Oldham for the lyrics/ vocals. Sweeney does a pretty good job of imitating Oldham’s music; you could tell me that this is a solo recording by Oldham and I wouldn’t be surprised. Often higher, slightly out-of-time m vocal harmonies that are sort of a trademark of BPB. Otherwise a lot of electric guitar, some drums and bass. Probably better as an album than as songs, but there’s plenty of good to play. |
My picks: 1. 2, 6, 7, 11
1. starts soft, just guitar and vocals. almost shouted vocals and drums come in. interludes of quiet parts. classic Oldham.
2. soft, fingerpicked guitar. almost whispered vocals. pretty!
3. fingerpicked guitar. nice reserved vocals and harmonies
4. slow, nice tension. then louder suddenly! chorus vocals, then soft, then loud. fade out ending
5. guitar and warbling vocals. nice reverby guitar solo near the end.
6. sleepy, loopy guitar and vocals. nice build with drums and another guitar.
7. intimate guitar and vocals. classic quirky Oldham lyrics, “asses” (FCC? they say it on TV) at 1:20 remaining
8. acoustic fingerpicked guitar. whistling solo! (rawk!)
9. laid back. nice bell strikes. slight distorted guitar.
10. long (7:56), gradually dirtier guitar and louder vocals. drops way back near 3:00 left. spoken vocals (from a movie) near the end. quiet ending.
11. medium tempo. fingerpicked guitar. pretty straightforward but a nice lilt to it. keyboard parts. chunky ending.
|1.||My Home Is the Sea||6.||Rudy Foolish|
|2.||Beast for Thee||7.||Bed Is for Sleeping|
|3.||What Are You?||8.||Only Someone Running|
|4.||Goat and Ram||9.||Death in the Sea|
|5.||Lift Us Up||10.||Blood Embrace|
|11.||I Gave You|