|Mogwai / Government Commissions Bbc Ses|
|Album:||Government Commissions Bbc Ses||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2005-03-13||Pull Date:||2005-05-15|
|Week Ending:||15 May||8 May||24 Apr||17 Apr||10 Apr||3 Apr||27 Mar||20 Mar|
|1.||Sep 01, 2022:||Zootopia |
Hunted By A Freak
|4.||Jan 18, 2012:||The Fall of Math |
Hunted By a Freak
|2.||Aug 17, 2022:||Zootopia |
Hunted By A Freak
|5.||Mar 12, 2009:||Songs of the Whale |
|3.||Nov 22, 2013:||The Fall of Math |
New Paths to Helicon Pt Ii
|6.||Apr 21, 2006:||The Top Shelf (coachella!) |
Hunted By a Freak
|DJ BZ + Mor|
Mogwai / Government Commissions BBC Sessions|
Hooray to the British taxpayers!
Great new release from the Glasgow post-rock band. This is a collection of sessions commissioned by BBC and recorded between 1996 and 2003, for John Peel's and Steve Lamacq's programs. Since John Peel's death not long ago, it's kind of a cliche to keep saying that our world rock music would not have been the same without him. It's no coincidence Mogwai starts this album with Peel introducing them.
The first and last tracks are live, the rest are studio recordings, probably almost-live. The collection showcases their albums through the years, about 2 songs from each album and one from an EP, making a great introduction to Mogwai, a sort of greatest-hits collection. At the same time, interesting and rewarding for die-hard fans. The versions are more organic and lively, in most cases, and are always interesting.
For beginners start with: 1,2,5 and 6 (if you can spare 18 minutes), although all of the tracks are excellent. Experts, pick your favorite...
In brackets: original album where each track appeared, date of this recording, and track duration.
1. [Happy Songs for Happy People (2003), 2003, 4:09] John Peel introduces a live dense and shimmering guitar hymn with heavily processed synth-like vox (or is it vox-like synth?).
2. [Young Team (1997), 1996, 6:18] this haunting signature track (here with no vox, originally supplied by Arab Strap’s Aidan Moffat) takes the album up and away! Soft and sensitive, probably one of their best works. This version intensifies the great combination of keyboard and guitar. Masterpiece, even without the missing vox which were the heart of the original.
3. [Ten Rapid 1997), 1998, 2:54] One of their strongest and widely known guitar melodies, with the famous different piano-guitar melody lines which unite to one terrific track.
4. [Come on Die Young (1999), 1998, 4:25] Very dark yet simple guitar tune, Not really different from the album version, but the closest thing to “Last Night I Dreamt” Mogwai have ever done.
5. [Come On Die Young (1999), 1998, 6:08] Surely one of the favorite Mogwai tracks. This is one of the few vocal tracks on this album, and its breathtaking.
6. [Young Team (1997), 1997, 18:30] Speaking of breath-taking, the 18 minute(!!!) version of "Like Herod", a track that keeps evolving and changing, with slow opening, explosive distorted peaks (watch those levels!), meditative guitar lines which abruptly shift to ear-splitting guitar solos and peaks that are literally trimmed by the recording. This stuff will blow away any real music lover. The centerpiece of this album, and superior version to the album version.
7. [Rock Action (2001), 2001, 4:45] Mellow and drony. “Live” feel like the original, although the singing and piano are louder and clearer, and the cello addition is interesting and contributes to the melancholic ambient.
8. [4 Satin EP (1997), 1996, 7:30] Earlier work, but still a classic Mogwai number - slow, monotonous yet evolving, haunting, dirty guitar work with keyboard drones and harmonium-like numbing backdrop.
9.[Ten Rapid (1997), 1998, 8:12] Loud, magical, drone and steady solo guitar and drum work. Mellow until half way, where theme continues over a pretty bed of noise and distortion. Mellows out towards the end, what a beautiful fade. Who says it’s better to burn out??
10. [Happy Songs for Happy People (2003), 2003, 4:43] Concludes the album quite like it began, with that full, ambient mellow touch of guitar and keyboards.
|1.||Hunted By a Freak||6.||Like Herod|
|2.||R U Still in 2 It||7.||Secret Pint|
|3.||New Paths to Helicon Pt Ii||8.||Superheroes of Bmx|
|4.||Kappa||9.||New Paths to Helicon Pt I|
|5.||Cody||10.||Stop Coming to My House|