|Album:||Angels of Light Sing "Other Pe||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Angels of Light||Added:||Apr 2005|
|Label:||Young God Records|
|Add Date:||2005-04-24||Pull Date:||2005-06-26|
|Week Ending:||Jun 19||Jun 12||Jun 5||May 29||May 22||May 15||May 8||May 1|
|1.||May 10, 2007:||Finneman's Market
On the Mountain
|4.||Jun 16, 2005:||One Tall Canadian
The Kids Is Already Breaking
|2.||Nov 23, 2005:||Lick My Moody Guitar
Michael's White Hands
|5.||Jun 13, 2005:||Stirling's Approximation
|3.||Jun 17, 2005:||Distraction-Limited
Michael's White Hands
|6.||Jun 09, 2005:||one tall canadian, one short american
My Sister Said
EX-swans leader Michael Gira. Brooding, dark americana/folk, no percussion, mostly acoustic, beautiful in a non-pretty kind of way. The PR references use Bonnie Prince and Magnetic fields but that is only correct in one aspect (instrumentation, vox, respectively) and otherwise way off. Stream-of-conscious lyrics, very personal, often cryptic. In promo note Gira attests that lyrics are written by "a friend"; channeled through in a Dylan-like manner, only without the structure and rhyme patterns. Mostly short tracks, no exploration. Tom Waits fans, definitely listen to this one.
Play 1, 2, 7, 9, 11, 12 and all.
1. ** Bright acoustic picking, choir harmonizes beautifully, handclaps, a masterpiece - plus it's the only song (non-Hebrew) that mentions the small southern desert Israeli city of Eilat. . AMAZING! (vox most like Crush Test Dummies..) **
2. * Sparse strum, about a boy, quiet ballad, female backing beautifully. Heartbreaking, strings take over at the end. *
3. Quiet start but then - strange percussion - and becomes more upbeat, words chanted, Beach Boys-like harmonizing, best line: "the hair on your body would clothe a small nation".
4 Rich, ode to Johnny Cash(?) - hinted in promo notes. Strum, steel, keys, swaying, gets louder.
5. Beautiful ballad, Dylanesque imagery and delivery, anti-war. Choir sings, a bit off synch, in the second part.
6. Some electric, animal-collective style, bluesy. Short.
7. * Americana feel, and themed. Rich; beautiful, Waitsy. *
8. Monotone picking and hushed vox as background, mix of imagery inspired by Michael Jackson & Saddam - "huh?". (see notes).
9. * Slow, quieter, transitions halfway, choir, fuller. *
10. FCC("shit", "bitch"). Short, strange.
11. * Interesting, bizarre, quiet and slow, beautiful. *
12. * Like Leonard Cohen- Famous Blue Raincoat - angelic female backing Vox *
|1.||Lena's Song||7.||My Sister Said|
|2.||The Kids Is Already Breaking||8.||Michael's White Hands|
|3.||My Friend Thor||9.||To Live Through Someone|
|4.||On the Mountain||10.||Simon Is Stronger than Us|