|Earthbound, the / Brotherhood of the Dog|
|Add Date:||2005-05-22|| ||Pull Date:||2005-07-24|| |
|Week Ending:||17 Jul||10 Jul||3 Jul||26 Jun||19 Jun||12 Jun||5 Jun||29 May|
|Elias (Dr Furious)|
Brilliantly mesmerizing!!! Hauntingly beautiful SURF-based FOLK-PSYCH ROCK with a twist of pop, acid punk and a spoonful of Greek soul. CALEXICO and the Sadies meet LEONARD COHEN, Nick Cave, Ry Cooder, Bob Dylan (ca. late 90s). Only with the rhythmic edge, pop sensitivity and worldliness of THE CLASH. Mid-tempo lush instrumentation (slide guitars, organ, violins, trumpets), acid-punk fluidity (Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros), edgy garage-psych guitars and surf-rock attacks. Headed by Alex K (ex Last Drive; one of the best underground bands that Greece ever turned up), this band hails from Athens and their music is a brilliant amalgam of musical genres (60s surf-psych, Mariachi, Greek rembetiko) that nobody ever dared putting together in this way before.|
Play: 6, 1, 2, 4, 10, 11
1. Sassy surf-rock instrumental. Think Dick Dale rocking out with a bunch of Mariachis. Gotta love the hammond and the garage-psych guitar fuzz.
2. A cross between Leonard Cohen and Calexico!!! This could have just easily been a song written by Nick Cave. Awesome guitar work!
3. Instrumental. Where bossa nova meets surf rock, and surf rock meets Greek rembetiko.
4. Awesomely epic! Calexico with a Greek soul. Noise and somber sadness lead to blissfully cathartic vocal melodies.
5. Slow, hazy, lazy piece with acid/funky guitar chops and jazzy vocals.
6. 90 seconds of ambient experimental noise breaks into AWESOME balls-out surf rock. This will bring you before tears of happiness! Incredible instrumental!
7. Surf rock with Mariachi trumpets and Leonard Cohenesque vox. Cool vocal sampling and a garage-psych guitar solo.
8. Long winded, ambient/spacey instrumental. Miles Davis-sounding trumpets’, slide guitars, folky violins and distorto psych guitars.
9. FCCs “fuck”.
10. Yeah… bring on the funk! Heavy bass, wah-wah effects, bluesy harmonicas, delicious organ, and a hard dose of acid punk noise.
11. Seductive, sexy and fucking edgy. I feel Joe Strummer’s spirit channeling through. This is the quintessential acid punk!
12. Wow… and a taste of trip-hop?