|Dunger, Nicolai / This Cloud Is Learning|
|Album:||This Cloud Is Learning||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2005-10-23||Pull Date:||2005-12-25|
|Week Ending:||13 Nov||6 Nov||30 Oct|
|1.||Wed, 12 Jul 06:||canuck|
I once was canadian
|4.||Tue, 01 Nov 05:||Julia|
Foreplay and Sex Wax
|2.||Thu, 10 Nov 05:||canuck|
I Once was Canadian
|5.||Wed, 26 Oct 05:||Red West|
Eels in the Loo
|3.||Thu, 03 Nov 05:||canuck|
I once was lost and found
Dunger, Nicolai – This Cloud is Learning – Overcoat Recordings|
Reviewed by Peter 2-22-2005
Swedish singer/songwriter of the folk-pop tradition playing with fellow Swedes the Soundtrack of our Lives. Promo sticker referred to this as a “lost third album.”
Album is acoustic guitar-based with a bunch of different backing instruments (see track listings). Sounds range from Joni Mitchell to down-tempo Radiohead to lots of Jeff Buckley on the Vocals.
Nothing immediately stood out as top-tracks, but all tracks range from good to very nice.
1. 3:27 – Down-tempo, guitar strumming (metallic sound) and male harmony vocals, often high and pleading.
* 2. 3:23 – Mid/up starts with nice guitar and Joni Mitchell sound. Nice riff, organ, rich.
* 3. 3:56 – Slow, pretty song to a father with a slight country twang. Clear solo vocals, then harmony.
4. 4:44 – (Wow, four 4s!) – Straightforward, upbeat pop, light use of piano, harmonica, etc.
5. 3:34 – Slow, sighing, airy folk-pop.
* 6. 2:24 – Slow, pretty piano-driven with nicely emotional vocals.
7. 3:29 – Starts with very high vocals, suave Jason Mrazy pop.
* 8. 3:08 – Upbeat, country feel with prominent, charged (but not angry) vocals.
* 9. 4:00 – Mid-tempo, dark but pretty (including bird sounds in background) instrumental. At times triumphant, at times minor, very nice.
10. 4:10 – Mid-tempo, darkly-tinged. Trembling male vocals turn to harpsichord and trumpet. A few semi-false endings among the various parts.
* 11. 3:16 – Down/mid, downbeat, cooing vocals over nice guitar lines – no words.
12. 1:47 – Mid-tempo, down-tempo pretty song ends early.
13. 3:32 – Listed as bonus track, but also the title track. Multi-layered, vocals have a Jeff Buckley feel. Lots going on behind the vocals.
14. 2:33 – Similar to other bonus track, but lighter. Same Jeff Buckley croning.