|Kuti, Femi / Live At The Shrine|
|Album:||Live At The Shrine||Collection:||World|
|Label:||Palm Pictures, Inc.|
|Add Date:||2005-07-31||Pull Date:||2005-10-02||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||18 Sep||11 Sep||4 Sep||28 Aug||21 Aug||14 Aug||7 Aug|
|1.||Sat, 27 Jul 19:||Eme O|
|4.||Thu, 12 Mar 09:||Gears|
|2.||Sat, 04 Oct 14:||Eme O|
|5.||Sat, 23 Aug 08:||David Bug|
"In Your Ear ..." with David Bug, one more time on-air this week ... more jazz
|3.||Sat, 10 Nov 12:||Eme O|
|6.||Fri, 06 Jan 06:||Fo|
No Cover, No Minimum: World Countdown
FEMI KUTI – “Live at the Shrine” |
Palm Pictures, 2005
Supercharged live performances by the Afrobeat heir, recorded last year in Lagos, Nigeria; this is a “bonus disc” to the concert/documentary DVD. Femi sticks close to his father’s winning formula of heavy grooves and political messages, but his own style also shows here (he’s more melodic than Fela, his arrangements have a smoother sheen, and he keeps his songs relatively short). Great stuff, as always. Play it now!
Fo’s picks: 2, 7, 9, 13… but they’re all strong!
2. 7:11 – organ intro; a strong, sweaty tune w/big horns. Excellent sax solo.
3. 4:15 – catchy melody (crowd sings along), about the power of music.
4. 4:04 – uptempo with a pop-soul feel, fine vocal & a hip-shaking beat
5. 7:35 – marginal FCCs at end: rolling groove, cool bass; weary vocals
6. 4:45 – nice vocals & backing here, lyrics have a religious theme
7. 4:31 – fast rhythms, cutting lyrics, and a great hook
8. 4:10 – slow intro; midtempo tune, walking rhythm, group chorus
9. 5:37 – fast & funky! high-energy riffs & fun vocals (growling + falsetto)
10. 6:17 – fast and busy, relatively light groove; messed up African politics
11. 6:42 – soulful, relaxed tempo: about the death of Fela in 1997, wild end!
13. 6:07 – awesome: fast & rolling like a freight train, vocals in your face
14. 5:00 – classic Fela song, somewhat faster than the original
(tracks 1 & 12 are rather odd announcements from Femi to the crowd)
[Fo] – July 2005
|2.||Dem Bobo||9.||Can't Buy Me|
|3.||Oyimbo||10.||Bring Me The Man Now|
|4.||I Wanna Be Free||11.||'97|
|5.||If Them Want To Hear||12.||Intro Shotan|
|7.||1, 2, 3, 4||14.||Water No Get Enemy|