|Maal, Baaba / Baaba Maal (Palm World Voices Series)|
|Album:||Baaba Maal (Palm World Voices Series)||Collection:||World|
|Artist:||Maal, Baaba||Added:||Sep 2005|
|Label:||Palm Pictures, Inc.|
|Add Date:||2005-11-13||Pull Date:||2006-01-15||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Dec 18||Dec 11||Dec 4||Nov 27|
|1.||May 11, 2010:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|4.||Dec 09, 2005:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|2.||Dec 31, 2005:||Afro Rhythm |
|5.||Nov 29, 2005:|| At the Cafe Bohemian |
|3.||Dec 13, 2005:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|6.||Nov 28, 2005:||Sunshine ... in the Afternoon |
A sort of “best of,” showcasing the singing/songwriting talents of this Senegalese superstar. These tracks are compiled from previous CDs (most of which are in the library), and are a good introduction to his music. He’s got a great, soaring voice and delivers both lowkey (vocals & strings) traditional music and electronic tracks. |
*1. Relaxed and joyful blend of voices/strings. Just lovely.
2. Guitar w/almost a country sound, into a chorus. Midtempo. Cool.
*3. Bright midtempo w/good use of guitar & great vocals.
4. Reggae-infused electro dance of African unity.
5. Trippy beat-driven dance w/soaring vocals.
*6. Midtempo w/a dark feeling & a hint of North Africa.
7. Dark electronica into a darker spacey sound. Hold me, I’m scared.
8. Driving dance track w/a sexy Afro groove.
*9. Kora, percussion, vocals. Sweet, midtempo track.
10. Uptempo Afro-funk groove w/a big sound & touch of reggae.
11. Mostly slow & simple. A warm & sweet, relaxed song.