|Nazarenes / Songs Of Life|
|Album:||Songs Of Life||Collection:||Reggae|
|Add Date:||2005-10-09||Pull Date:||2005-12-11||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||11 Dec||4 Dec||27 Nov||20 Nov||13 Nov||6 Nov||30 Oct||23 Oct|
|1.||Mon, 31 Jul 17:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|4.||Thu, 02 Dec 10:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|2.||Mon, 26 Aug 13:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|5.||Thu, 28 Oct 10:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|3.||Thu, 22 Sep 11:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|6.||Thu, 29 Oct 09:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
Nazarenes, the – Songs of Life (Insteel Sounds)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 9/29/05
Ethiopian roots reggae. Bothers Medhane and Noah Tewolde, from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (considered the spiritual center of the world by Rastafarians) offer a lovely, spiritual sound, reminiscent (for you reggae buffs) of Israel Vibration or Ijahman. Here’s the crazy thing – they apparently don’t work together, but alternate doing all vocals and instruments (except for plentiful guests) on odd (Noah) and even (Medhane) tracks. That’s different! Song titles are nice and straightforward.
(In case anyone’s wondering, “bubble” is when the keyboards kinda boop on the offbeat. It’s a Jamaica t’ing…)
No FCC. I like tracks 2, 7 and 11 best.
1. 5:11 *laid back bubble, all about judgment day and the mark of the beast. People get ready! A bit of rather stunning falsetto, mostly pretty harmonies.
2. 4:10 **midtempo, luscious vocals, nice thick sound, sweet love song. Ends a bit unexpectedly.
3. 4:27 *upbeat, strong beat. “toast” near end by T-Root.
4. 5:08 slow mellow intro, continues downbeat when drums come in. Another rather abrupt ending.
5. 3:48 *upbeat bubble, almost a chant, about getting rid of “vampire” oppressors. Fade at a few seconds from end time.
6. 4:56 sounds a bit like the O-Jays or something – 70’s soul. Crack bad, pot good. (no shit!) Very slow, reverby organ.
7. 3:34 **takes a few seconds to get rolling, once there upbeat with good bounce, horns, harmonies.
8. 4:36 *rather alarming vocal intro and breaks. Midtempo, apparently about consoling a woman using sex. Whee!
9. 4:36 laid back soul groove, all falsetto vocals. Great lyrics and he’s got a very pure falsetto, but not all of us can take falsetto…
10. 5;20 *downbeat but almost… cinematic? sound. Slow vocal vibrato very like Israel Vibration, wistful sound and lyrics about unity.
11. 4:48 **classic-sounding guitar riff, mid tempo, lovely vocals, sweet love song – everything comes together.
12. 3:38 *upbeat number about personal strength. Long fade at end
13. 4:51 slow gospel-sounding song of nostalgia.