|Various Artists / Grlz|
|Label:||Crippled Dick Hot Wax!|
|Add Date:||2005-10-02||Pull Date:||2005-12-04|
|Week Ending:||4 Dec||20 Nov||13 Nov||6 Nov||30 Oct||23 Oct||16 Oct||9 Oct|
|1.||Wed, 30 Jan 19:||aandreaa|
|4.||Sun, 04 Oct 15:||Waves|
|2.||Sun, 06 Dec 15:||Waves|
|5.||Sat, 06 Jul 13:||glu|
|3.||Sun, 11 Oct 15:||Waves|
|6.||Sun, 21 Apr 13:||glu|
Hot Air Balloon Lane
(coll) – GRLZ (Crippled Dick Hot Wax)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 9/26/05
Wild girls of the 70’s and early 80’s; punk, aggro. Not always great vocals, but generally cool beats and definitely bad attitudes. Let’s hear it for the grlz! Everything under 4 minutes, mostly pretty minimalist production, but great for shaking your ass or pogoing to.
I couldn’t hear any FCC, but the singing goes by so fast! (10 might be construed to be iffy subject matter by boring normal people.)
I like 5 and 9, but them’s my girls, yo! It’s all great stuff, and it’s really all up to individual taste –everyone will find something to like.
1. 3:50 *instruments come in one by one, upbeat funk with screams. Great bass and horns, very basic production. Punk was great, cause you didn’t need to be able to sing!
2. 3:09 electronic whistles, tunes and bloops (sound like real drums, though, midtempo), sexy spoken and whispered vocals
3. 3:49 **trumpet intro, midtempo loping, cool bass, very “Beat” jazzy feel, cool man, cool!
4. 3:10 **midtempo slinky syncopation, pretty vocals (sounds a bit like Sade, to be honest), interesting male harmonies
5. 3:59 ***Slits Slits Slits! Crazy insane cover, what do you expect? Pure punk – don’t expect totally on-key singing
6. 3:49 *dubby as hell reggae cover, reverb and really stoned vocals
7. 3:12 *rubber band guitar, straight-ahead midtempo beat, angry monotonal vocals sometimes in unison and sometimes a “round”, jangly Gang of Four-esque guitar solo
8. 2:51 **funky rubber band guitar, fast beat, crazy jazz, cool finger-snapping chick talk, long fade at end
9. 3:02 ***great fast drums, inimitable Anabella vocals, guitars don’t come in until 45 seconds, but you don’t miss em cause the drums and Anabella are so fucking hot. GO!!!!
10. 2:46 hey, she can actually sing – no fair! Uptempo, thick production, kinda swingy. Spoken break exhorting us to gay and multi-partner sex
11. 2:56 *low key piano/high-hat groove, until you get to the whinnying. Other than that, cool vocals. Kinda jazzy, kinda disjointed
12. 3:37 *quiet intro, pretty vocals, no beat until a minute in, then rather punkish with lots of bass. Full horn section comes in around 2 minutes, song builds until long fade at end