|Friends Of Dean Martinez / Lost Horizon|
|Artist:||Friends Of Dean Martinez||Added:||Jan 2006|
|Add Date:||2006-01-22||Pull Date:||2006-03-26|
|Week Ending:||Mar 26||Mar 19||Mar 12||Mar 5||Feb 19||Feb 12||Feb 5||Jan 29|
|1.||Apr 21, 2009:||I once was Canadian |
|4.||May 31, 2006:||I once was Canadian |
|2.||Jul 01, 2008:||I once was Canadian |
|5.||Apr 03, 2006:||like a virgin |
All In The Golden Afternoon
|3.||Jun 02, 2006:||The Top Shelf (with my buddy marco!) |
|6.||Mar 22, 2006:||I once was Canadian |
Spartan, arid, twilight instrumental rock. This is a band that heard Ry Cooder's adaptation of "Dark was the Night, Cold was the Ground" for the _Paris, Texas_ soundtrack and really payed attention--lots of warm/mournful ambience and steel or slide guitar with *just* the right amount of distortion. |
Best: 1, 5, 7, *8*
1. Fades in with warm ambient steel guitar which continues throughout, then high, slow, welcoming guitar soloing on top; then muted thumpy drums. Guitar speeds up part of the way through and the whole thing builds gloriously---in this case the "GY!BE of the southwestern desert" tag seems apropos.
2. Acoustic guitar, dark wavery steel.
3. Morricone-like synthesized vox and, well, a Morricone-like guitar sound, too. Spanish flavor in some of the melody. This is more loud and rocking than many of the tracks.
4. Pastoral, pleasant tones and more synth vox; takes a melancholy downturn (in places it sounds reminiscent of the end of Radiohead's "Exit Music (For a Film)"), then opens up with entry of a new guitar part. Martial drums underscore the slowness of the rest.
5. Slow shuffle for a lazy afternoon.
6. Acoustic is back, picking out a slow Six Organs-sounding melody; there's an echoed steel part and some thrummy bass underneath.
7. Backdrop for a lengthy, distorted, intense guitar solo. Fairly out of keeping with the rest of the album, but effective---the melody underneath the soloing links it up with the sound generally.
8. Re-recording of a song from Random Harvest. Compelling melody; fairly dark but hopeful.
9. Very laid-back and relaxed. Echo on the high guitar part.
|1.||Landfall||5.||All In The Golden Afternoon|
|2.||Dawn||6.||Two Hundred Miles|
|3.||Heart Of Darkness||7.||Hidden Out Of Sight|
|4.||Somewhere Over The Waves||8.||Dusk|