I love, love, love Arthur H. He’s been one of my favorites for years now, so I’m extra happy with this new release. He’s got a hoarse, gruff, compelling voice, a unique jazz-influenced style, and is cool in the way that only really cool French people can be cool. This is heavily moody, quirky, and unique. So unique it’s almost impossible to review. One star each track. Maybe two.
1. Kind of dark, downtempo, with whisper vocals. Sweeping.
2. Downtempo duet w/cool fem vox. Spooky goodness.
3. Lyrical w/lush strings and a great, atmospheric feel.
4. Dark & driving w/great uses of strings. Orchestral.
5. Strident strings, epic, almost operatic bits. Dark, changing.
6. Sexy-cool urban cha-cha-esque romp. Complete w/gunshots.
7. A short, relaxed list of things he loves. Unexpected ending.
8. Slow “avantesque” blend of plinks, la-las, and other listenable bits.
9. A hint of spy theme, mid/uptempo jazz groove. Way cool.
10. Slow, whispery, evocative. Mostly spoken.
11. Rock ode to NYC. Gets driving and big.
12. Relaxed, lyrical duet w/a guy who sounds a lot like him.
13. Lazy, late-night and lush. Slow w/great strings.