|Phelan, Patrick / Cost|
|Add Date:||2006-07-02||Pull Date:||2006-09-03|
|Week Ending:||3 Sep||27 Aug||20 Aug||13 Aug||6 Aug||30 Jul||23 Jul||16 Jul|
|1.||Oct 10, 2006:||lick my moody guitar show |
|4.||Aug 26, 2006:||What's in the Icebox? |
|2.||Sep 03, 2006:||Multiple Personality Disorder |
|5.||Aug 15, 2006:||lick my moody guitar show |
|3.||Aug 29, 2006:||lift Jesus Higher |
|6.||Aug 06, 2006:||Multiple Personality Disorder |
Dark, lush ballads. Velvety male vocals, sometimes half whispered. Gentle yet a bit threatening, like Gravenhurst. Most songs slow, and fade out. Third solo LP from Phelan (from Virginia, previously in Minnow and South). Play with Gravenhurst, Violet Indiana, Pinback, Pink Floyd, Low, Mick Harvey. Compelling, solid album. FCC clean. Start with 2, 4, 11.|
1. Expansive, spacey instrumental. Starts with a few seconds of near silence. Slow fade.
==> 2. Lush indie rock. Velvety vocals paired with insistent percussiveness and insistent arpeggios. Starts with a splash of noisy, descending electronics. Very Pinback.
3. Slow, acoustic (mostly) ballad. Very much like Gravenhurst.
==> 4. Dreamy, quiet, beautiful, and somehow scary. Nice violin (from Jonathan Segel, ex Camper Van Beethoven) and subtle synths.
5. Jazzy ballad. Starts with 40 secs of spacey synthetics.
6. Slow, percussionless instrumental. Synthetic strings are a bit mawkish to my ears. Serves as a long intro to the next track.
7. Prog/filmic ballad. Short. Few words that keep repeating. Previous track is a long, instrumental intro. Starts cold with vocals.
8. Dark, Pink-Floydesque ballad. “No, the day just cannot wait to put you back to bed.” A long track that evolves a lot, through a series of moods. Long fade and then some silence.
9. Short instrumental, floaty and drumless... like a denouement to the previous track.
10. Folky, finger-picked acoustic guitar, with soporific vocals and legato synth in the background. Fades in slowly. (Guitar is reminiscent of The Beatles in the song Blackbird.)
==> 11. Folky sad, swaying lullaby. Male-female vocal duet. Starts with echoey slide guitar, later gains full band including drums and synth.
|1.||In Words||6.||In View|
|3.||Ruin||8.||Through The Bedroom Walls|
|4.||Sails Descending||9.||We Forgive Our Own|
|5.||Lesser Laws||10.||Then Trust|