|Centro-Matic / Fort Recovery|
|Add Date:||2006-07-30||Pull Date:||2006-10-01|
|Week Ending:||Oct 1||Sep 24||Sep 3||Aug 27||Aug 20||Aug 13||Aug 6|
|1.||Mar 18, 2008:||I once was Canadian |
|4.||Oct 25, 2006:||I once was canadian |
|2.||Jan 22, 2008:||I once was Canadian |
Covered Up In Mines
|5.||Sep 27, 2006:||I once was canadian |
|3.||Apr 04, 2007:||I once was canadian |
|6.||Sep 20, 2006:||I once was canadian |
Eclectic indie rock from Will Johnston. Most of this has a pretty straight forward rock set up (guitars, bass, drums, sometimes keyboards) and sound. Some distorted songs and some clean. He has a gift at good vocal melodies/ harmonies to go on top of dark or distorted instrumentals. Other times it all sweet. It’s hard to compare this to other bands because it sounds like everything and it sounds like nothing, but at times, I think of Wilco’s rockier moments. This is good; listen. |
My picks: 1, 2, 6, 9
1. med-slow. nice slide guitar. mostly sparse while he’s singing and fuller otherwise.
2. distorted guitars, but clear vocals and drums. sweet melody to go along with the dark instrumental parts. rhythmic drum stick clicks and clapping near the end.
3. medium tempo chill rocker.
4. med-tempo. Acoustic guitar and vocals. Later strings, (electric and acoustic) pianos and echoey background vocals.
5. med-slow and subdued. Guitar, bass, drums and vox. Strings and squeaking sounds.
6. med-slow 6/8 full band rocker. almost anthemic in sound.
7. med-tempo. arpeggiated, slightly distorted electric guitar, echoed electronic sound (keyboard? Processed guitar?), another electric guitar.
8. medium tempo, distorted guitars. Similar to 2 in the sweet vocals + dark guitars way
9. the single (also on the EP of the same name in the A-File right now). steady-strummed guitar and steady drums. Electric piano and strings.
10. slowish. Steady guitar, piano and drums. wilco-esque
11. med-tempo. dominated by interesting drum sounds. Light guitars and keyboards in the background
12. slow. heavy drums, guitars with keyboard on top. Break down to just one guitar in the middle before full band again