|Various Artists / Doo Wop Jamaican Style|
|Album:||Doo Wop Jamaican Style||Collection:||Reggae|
|Add Date:||2006-06-25||Pull Date:||2006-08-27||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||27 Aug||20 Aug||13 Aug||6 Aug||30 Jul||23 Jul||16 Jul||9 Jul|
|1.||Mon, 01 May 17:||Shineymic|
Everything A to Z - Week 85
|4.||Sat, 21 Aug 10:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|2.||Wed, 21 Dec 11:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|5.||Fri, 08 Feb 08:||michaelu|
|3.||Mon, 11 Apr 11:||Moose|
|6.||Tue, 02 Oct 07:||Rocky rock ro|
4 0clock socks
[coll]: Doo Wop Jamaican Style (Sanctuary)|
Reviewed by Sadie O.,
Sheer fun! Covers of Doo Wop classics by some great Rock Steady artists, from the vaults of Trojan Records. Plenty of that primitive single-mike production that makes Rock Steady so much fun. Doo-Wop lends itself easily to Rock Steady vocally, because all the groups are doing harmonies already, but rhythmically it’s often a complicated fit. Fun comp of some real classics, yard-stylee!
No FCCs, track 7 kills, and 14 is great classic ska.
1. 3:22 **starts straightforward, then rock steady beat comes in. Alton Ellis was a great voice.
2. 2:59 **rather slow lover’s rock beat, plenty of harmonies and horns.
3. 2:36 *uptempo, almost ska, vocal duet with a reedy-voiced girl and a guy who’s clearly standing much closer to the mic, nice horn solos.
4. 2:23 ***slightly uptempo, great instrumentation – it’s a hit!
5. 2:59 *rather downtempo, solo female vocalist, nice groove.
6. 3:18 midtempo with farfisa, duet involving male falsetto, which was unnecessarily popular in the rock steady days…
7. 2:43 ****great bouncy midtempo cover of the Doo Wop classic – they do it justice.
8. 3:04 *uptempo near-ska with farfisa, nice harmonies.
9. 3:54 *slow, apparently recorded in a shower (with a small orchestra in the dressing room). Interesting…
10. 3:00 **rather uptempo, nice guitars, rather odd reworking.
11. 2:40 ***uptempo, fun beat, lots of harmonies.
12. 2:50 *midtempo, nice vocals, sparing instrumentation.
13. 2:18 ***midtempo, VERY cool vocals, familiar riddim.
14. 2:16 ****straight-up ska, crap production, but so much fun!
15. 2:39 **somewhat uptempo rock steady, nice vocals.
16. 2:47 **midtempo, great harmonies (NOT Bob Marley!) (maybe it’s Bunny Wailer? No clues in the liner notes…)
17. 2:57 *slightly downtempo, great harmonies.
18. 2:53 **midtempo, nice vocals, spare instrumentation, trumpet.
19. 3:43 *slow, recorded in the shower, true to the pompous feel of the original.
20. 2:22 ***uptempo, nice bounce and vocals, fun cover.