|Various Artists / Rough Guide To West African Gold|
|Album:||Rough Guide To West African Gold||Collection:||World|
|Label:||World Music Network|
|Add Date:||2006-09-17||Pull Date:||2006-11-19||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||19 Nov||12 Nov||5 Nov||29 Oct||22 Oct||15 Oct||8 Oct||1 Oct|
|1.||Jun 24, 2010:||Elite Syncopations |
|4.||Nov 07, 2006:||At the Cafe Bohemian -Tokyo |
|2.||Jan 15, 2007:||"In Your Ear ..." with David Bug, a shot out to martin & mingus |
The Lord's Prayer
|5.||Nov 05, 2006:||Bottom Heavy |
Let Them Talk
|3.||Nov 14, 2006:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
Let Them Talk
|6.||Nov 03, 2006:||Oh Man. |
Ife Si Na Chi
Fabulous music from the golden age of African popular music (1950s-80s), Highlife, mbalax…great sounds from wonderful bands. If this music doesn’t make you wiggle – check your pulse. It’s joyful, catchy, and all worth at least one star. Some tracks a bit crackly and obviously older, but nothing too bad. Play it and smile. |
1. Calypso highlife w/a fun, lazily happy sound.
2. Fast & energetic Afro-funk. A great groove.
3. Fun, midtempo Afro-mambo. “Drunk” vocals, cool guitars/sax.
4. Afro-salsa, midtempo w/an mbalax feel. In Spanish.
5. Deliciously relaxed highlife w/lazy vocals. Nice.
6. Sweet horn harmonies & warm vox. Lazy & midtempo.
7. Vocalists trading lyrics, midtempo perc/horns. Sweet.
8. Nicely brassy, mid/uptempo jazzy pop.
9. Coolest “Lord’s Prayer” ever. A fun, kinda cheesy mid groove.
10. Mid/upbeat w/chant-like vocals & a catchy sound. Great flute.
11. Sweet upbeat w/organ, horns, cool guitar & vox. Catchy.
12. Mid, cool horns/guitar. Salif Keita on vox. So good…
13. Uptempo w/great vocals a lite funk groove & lots of style.