|Ellis, Alton And Hortense / I'm Still In Love With You|
|Album:||I'm Still In Love With You||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Ellis, Alton And Hortense||Added:||10/2006|
|Add Date:||2006-10-08||Pull Date:||2006-12-10||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||22 Oct||15 Oct|
|1.||Oct 20, 2018:||Hanging in the bone yard |
I'm Still In Love With You
|4.||Apr 14, 2007:||radio experiment #9 |
I'm Still In Love With You
|2.||Jul 22, 2009:||Signal to Noise |
Live And Learn
|5.||Jan 09, 2007:||the Scientific Method Applied to Radio |
Can't Get Used To Losing You, Breakfast In Bed
|3.||May 09, 2007:||Whatevers clever |
Breakfast In Bed
|6.||Oct 19, 2006:||press and release |
Secretly, Live And Learn
Ellis, Alton and Hortense I’m Still in Love with You|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 10/5/06
Late 60’s/early 70’s ska/rock steady by formidable brother and sister vocalist, produced by Coxsone Dodd at Studio One. Fairly minimalist music with a classic early sound. Alton has a sweet, romantic tenor and Hortense has a nice clear alto voice. Although Alton remains a well-known rock steady star, it’s nice to see Hortense getting some recognition. Nice one from the vaults, but not a big revelation.
FCC squeaky clean. Best track is 4 because it’s an extended mix.
1. **midtempo rock steady with big vocal harmonies. Has that great primitive 60’s production, and Ellis’ soaring tenor.
2. *Uptempo piano-heavy rock steady. She’s quite a good singer with a clear alto voice.
3. *Midtempo, borderline ska/rock steady cover of a minor 60’s American pop hit. Heavy on the farfisa, but quite pleasant.
4. **Slightly uptempo bounce with catchy chorus. Freddy MacGregor later had a hit with this tune.
5. *Slightly uptempo ska/rock steady. Brother/sister duet.
6. ***midtempo rock steady, classic guitar and piano sound. Extended dub mix – yay!
7. **rather downtempo rock steady with lots of horns. This C&W tune was a bigger hit for Lorna and for Scotty and Lorna.
8. **Midtempo, restrained music but fun vocals from both Alton and the chorus.
9. *Uptempo, spirited horns and minimal bass, unusual sound. Very Dusty Springfield sort of pop vibe.
10. *Downbeat rock steady with the usual fine harmonies.
11. **somewhat uptempo ska, soulful vocals from Hortense.
12. *somewhat uptempo ska/rock steady with falsetto vocals.
13. *rather downtempo rock steady with overly deep lyrics, but sweet vocals and simple piano line.
14. **really nice, sincere spiritual number. Midtempo rock steady.
15. *midtempo rock steady, another Dusty Springfield pop kinda sound.
16. *midtempo, odd little love song with rather quirky vocals.
17. slow sad song, spoken intro, organ-heavy music. Too weepy!
18. *another odd one – sad spiritual song with rather bouncy music.