|Califone / [Roots & Crowns]|
|Album:||[Roots & Crowns]||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Thrill Jockey Records|
|Add Date:||2007-02-18||Pull Date:||2007-04-22|
|Week Ending:||22 Apr||15 Apr||8 Apr||1 Apr||25 Mar||18 Mar||11 Mar||4 Mar|
|1.||Thu, 02 Oct 14:||DJ Away|
The Sunset Life
|4.||Thu, 11 Sep 08:||Mike R|
Undrinkably Bad Oddities
|2.||Fri, 05 Aug 11:||Eme O|
|5.||Wed, 23 Apr 08:||KyleM|
|3.||Tue, 01 Dec 09:||Kwistens the trainee|
Kwistens Trainee Airtest
|6.||Fri, 15 Feb 08:||Edwin|
Lost and Found
Art folk/Post-Rock. A bit difficult to define (reminds me of Devotchka), but for sure will be loved by many at KZSU: quiet sophistication with alternative touches on well-performed folk (mountain music more than delta Blues I think), spilling, in some tracks, into post-Rock. Good lead singer with a quiet gravelly vox that sounds like a combination of Kurt Cobain and John Lennon, joined at times by a nice male vox chorus. The lyrics are enigmatic, probably meaning a lot in an associative way to the one who wrote them (FCC clean). All songs are really good; I tried to mark a few slightly better.|
*1. Mid-tempo post-Rock song with a Brian Eno guitar and a folksy train motif. Ends with a nice steel guitar plucking.
*2. A calm, pretty pop song, with chorus singing and great brass accompaniment. Quiet but constant throughout the sound you can hear the rattling sound of a tampered piano.
*3. A pretty folk song. Acoustic guitar and playful percussion. Culminates.
4. A slow and calm folk song with beautiful Blues inspired acoustic guitar playing and e-guitar vignettes.
*5. Mid-tempo, steady beat rolling song. Awsome e-guitars and imaginative soundscapes.
6. Nice contrast with the previous track. Quiet and acoustic, but with some delicate glitches.
7. A beautiful folk fiddle playing interlude.
8. A quiet Bob Dylan-ish song, with a beautiful twirling synth accompniment and some harmonica.
9. A slow acoustic song with nice violin playing. *10. One of the more artsy songs in this CD. Kind of a marching rhythm with a mixing of Apalachian music, Blues, sound bits, and a general electronic fuzziness. Culminates in the end to an almost epic chorus.
*11. Slow banjo plucking and Bluesy moarning acoustic guitar and singing (falcetto).
12. Mid-tempo Folk/pop song. Basic, with nice percussion. Ends with piano, industrial percussion and some fuzzy guitars. 13. A quiet Legendary-Pink-Dots-kind-of-psychadelia song with fuzzy guitars vignettes. Beautiful ending with quiet guitar plucking accompanied by metal scrapping sounds.