|Album:||Future Is When, The||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Delta Nove||Added:||Dec 2006|
|Label:||Capitol Records Inc.|
|Add Date:||2006-12-24||Pull Date:||2007-02-25||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Feb 11||Feb 4||Jan 28||Jan 14||Jan 7||Dec 31|
|1.||Feb 29, 2016:||Happy Hour
|4.||Jun 14, 2012:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon
Frog 'n Toad
|2.||Sep 04, 2012:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon
Get On Down
|5.||Jun 01, 2012:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon
Frog 'n Toad
|3.||Sep 03, 2012:||Happy Hour (Coverin' for PACC)
|6.||May 25, 2011:||Morning Glory!
Frog 'n Toad
Reviewed by Sadie O., 12/13/06
Funky Long Beach party sounds with a big dollop of Reggae and other Caribbean riddims, and a lot of Capoiera/samba influence. Although the vocals are sometimes painfully white-boy and the lyrics sometimes a bit silly, the music is really good – especially if you dig that funky stuff. Quite a mashup of instruments and styles. Hot horns.
FCC on 13, alas. 3, 10 and 12 are standouts, IMO.
1. **Funky midtempo party vibe, bits of Parliamentish character acting, rather frat-boyish vocals but killer music.
2. ***uptempo ska with a bit of spy movie feel. Nice bass and horns, forgettable vocals. Long rather dramatic ending.
3. ****midtempo funky funk, great bounce. Vibraphones! Nonsense lyrics actually work well here.
4. **random noises, cowbells, snare. Serves as intro to next track.
5. ***Midtempo Carneval parade funk groove, with a bit of berembau and electric guitar. Bit of Brazilian Portuguese chants near end, long far-away recording of samba parade at outro.
6. *midtempo, relaxed samba groove with cuica.
7. **midtempo jazzy funk, somewhat random horns, a bit spacey. A bit of a Cuban feel. Nice chanting, fretless bass. Lunatic laughter at end.
8. ***motorcycle revving, uptempo party funk, nice dance groove and sweet horns. Definite attempt at New Orleans groove, fairly funny lyrics.
9. ***scratching intro, downtempo funky funk.
10. ****cool midtempo capoiera/samba drums – that’s pretty much it, but it sounds great. Leads into next cut.
11. ***midtempo funky Brazilian groove, with lyrics in Brazilian Portuguese. Gets into a midtempo Reggae bit in the middle.
12. ****slightly uptempo Reggae with bells and unusual lyrics with a vaguely Gorillaz delivery. Cuica! Goes quite manic. Ends with toddler talking.
13. ***FCC: “Motherfucker” at 0:54. slightly downtempo funky Reggae with horns and wah wah and lots of electric guitar. Slow horns at long ending. Pity about that FCC – otherwise I’d rate this one of the best cuts.
|1.||Get On Down||7.||Giacomo|
|2.||Hard Times||8.||Don't Burn The Beans|
|3.||Frog 'n Toad||9.||Deception|
|5.||Marace Eu (Maraca Tu)||11.||Tororo|
|6.||Sighing And Waiting||12.||Bongo Bong|
|13.||The Future Is When?|