[coll]: Polski Ogien: 20 Polish Reggae & Dancehall Tunes
Reviewed by Sadie O., 2/27/07
Yup, 20 Polish Reggae and Dancehall tunes, alright! Mostly on riddims by German reggaemeisters Seeed, which means they’re EXCELLENT. I’m seriously jazzed to finally get this collection –it’s got some great sounds!
FCCs on track 20, most tracks in Polish.
Track 6 is fucking SICK! Everything else is good to great.
1. 3:27 ***midtempo bouncy and happy one-drop skank. I wonder what “duckwad” means… Fun growly toast from Jr. Stress.
2. 3:55 **midtempo skank with some great noises, pleasant female singing.
3. 4:06 **midtempo electronic dancehall with lots of bleepy stuff, duo male dancehall vocals. All about pot and the animal farm?
4. 2:57 ***midtempo, one of the hottest dancehall riddims ever recorded, dual male dancehall vocals.
5. 3:24 ***random intro, rather downtempo electronic dancehall butt-shaker, dual male vocals.
6. 3:22 *****THIS IS THE POOP!!!! Midtempo slinky dancehall KILLAH riddim, male dancehall vocals in Spanish and Jr. Stress’ growls in Polish. I’m surprised no one has tried to make this cut illegal!
7. 3:26 *** Sweet! Midtempo roots skank, very attractive Male singing in Polish.
8. 3:05 **fun – starts with bits of cheering, odd male and female vocals. Midtempo dancehall riddim comprised of a bit of hi-hat and people singing. Definitely distinctive.
9. 3:18 ***long intro, then another awesome midtempo dancehall ridddim from Seeed, several male vocals of one sort or another. Ends with an odd wail.
10. 2:31 **midtempo very relaxed but danceable dancehall skank, female vocals in actual English! Sweet little love song – awwww…
11. 4:09 **starts with sound of needle put into groove, gradually downtempo lush and relaxed roots skank, strong male dancehall toast and female chorus.
12. 2:48 ***midtempo electronic dancehall with a great beat, hyperactive male dancehall vocals. Abrupt ending.
13. 3:07 **pompous orchestral chord opening, then midtempo electronic dancehall, male monster vocals and female singing with lots of echo.
14. 3:12 **bouncy midtempo electronic dancehall riddim with lots of noises, male dancehall vocals.
15. 3:54 **bit of music in background of mysterious phone call in Polish. Midtempo roots bubble after about 30 seconds, male and female sung duet. Really nice production on the music.
16. 3:16 **this and the last 4 tracks have the same happy skank riddim as track one. Cool male dancehall vocals with chorus.
17. 3:40 **same riddim, rather hyper male dancehall vocals.
18. 3:39 **same riddim, occasionally falsetto male dancehall vocals.
19. 3:37 ***same riddim, but Jr. Stress’s fun growl
20. 3:15 FCCs – several “fucks” same riddim, same cut as on Ill Inspecta’s CD but NOT CLEANED FOR RADIO!