|Tony Tuff / Say Something|
|Label:||Minor 7 Flat 5|
|Add Date:||2007-03-11||Pull Date:||2007-05-13||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||13 May||6 May||29 Apr||15 Apr||1 Apr||25 Mar||18 Mar|
|1.||Mon, 15 May 17:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|4.||Mon, 30 Nov 09:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
Happy Hour (Coverin' for PACC)
|2.||Mon, 25 May 15:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|5.||Mon, 10 Aug 09:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|3.||Thu, 23 Sep 10:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|6.||Thu, 25 Jun 09:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 3/5/07|
Roots Rock Reggae skank ‘n’ bubble. Somewhat nasal tenor vocals often reminiscent of Gregory Isaacs. Music mostly recorded at Tuff Gong with some of the best musicians in JA, vocals mostly recorded in Hamburg although Tony Tuff seems to be bona fide Jamaican.
No FCCs detected, although track 7 is clearly about sex. Some fine stuff here, and also one of the worst tracks I’ve heard in my life. Ha!
1. 3:53 **low-key intro, then bouncy slightly downtempo roots rock bubble, toast by Smokie Benz – rather odd religious rant about crazy women killing babies. Very abrupt ending.
2. 3:26 ***guitar strums intro, then midtempo minimalist cross between one-drop and dancehall. Female backup chorus, interesting song, apparently about being turned on at a dance… Another very abrupt ending.
3. 3:52 **strong intro, midtempo roots skank. Female chorus, upfill lyrics (can’t tell whether he sounds more like your mom or your kindergarden teacher.)
4. 5:05 ****low-key keyboard intro with a bit of preaching, then midtempo danceable bubble – nice sound, Rasta lyrics.
5. 3:56 ****uptempo skank with lots of bounce, fun shaker noise. Apparently asking his girlfriend to take him back. Don’t listen, girlfriend! Trust me! Anyway, great sound.
6. 3:47 **complex, sparce dancehall beat, confusing lyrics. Is he asking people to dance or live up right?
7. 4:24 **very sparce but extremely slinky syncopation. Bits of electronics, suggestive as hell.
8. 4:12 ***honks and bleeps intro, something that sounds like a theramin, midtempo dancehall shuffle with random.
9. 3:42 ***classic roots rock bubble, righteousness lyrics, toast by Al Pancho.
10. 3:33 ***roots skank, peace lyrics.
11. 3:36 ****big intro, cool midtempo skank about dancing, with a couple of borrowed lyrics.
12. 4:38 ****upbeat horn intro, sweet midtempo bubble with lots of tom and snare, positive lyrics.
13. 3:44 ***slightly uptempo bubble, upful lyrics, drum comes in a bit late, but really nice
14. 3:50 ugh, downtempo modern soul with a one-drop that sounds like the drummer was depressed to be involved… avoid! Bleargh!
|1.||Fulfillment Time Feat. Smokie Benz||8.||Real|
|2.||Boom Shakatak||9.||Mankind Feat. Al Pancho|
|3.||Say Something||10.||Nice And Lovely|
|4.||Walk And Talk||11.||Shake|
|5.||The Work||12.||Good Life|
|7.||Do Me||14.||Just A Minute|