|Various Artists / Rock 'n' Roll Reggae: Original Trojan And Creole Recordings|
|Album:||Rock 'n' Roll Reggae: Original Trojan And Creole Recordings||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Mar 2007|
|Add Date:||2007-03-18||Pull Date:||2007-05-20||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||May 13||Apr 29||Apr 22||Apr 15||Apr 8||Apr 1||Mar 25|
|1.||Dec 29, 2021:||Hanging In The Boneyard |
All Shook Up
|4.||Dec 23, 2008:||Negro Thump Music |
A Rockin Good Way, All Shook Up
|2.||Nov 18, 2019:||Everything |
|5.||Feb 08, 2008:||6ft underground |
All Shook Up
|3.||May 07, 2011:||New World Disorder |
All Shook Up
|6.||Sep 09, 2007:||Raymundos stunt double |
Bye Bye Love
[coll]: Rock ‘n’ Roll Reggae|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 3/15/007
Reggae (actually, mostly Rock Steady) covers of well-loved oldies. Some of the biggest stars of the rock steady era, but nothing historically significant – just plain for fun!
No FCCs. Everything is at least fun, 5 and 14 are really good.
1. 2:37 *midtempo rock steady, super-sweet tenor vocals. Gets fairly overwrought.
2. 2:08 *uptempo rock steady, almost ska, terrible sound quality, but still a fun slice of history.
3. 3:23 *midtempo rock steady, smooth tenor vocals, sung about half the speed of the original. Alton isn’t very good at faking an American accent!
4. 2:09 **uptempo rock steady, rather shrill female vocals.
5. 3:31 ****midtempo bouncy skank, odd noises. Jackie Edwards loved to cover Elvis – this is great fun.
6. 2:48 **midtempo rock steady, sweet vocals.
7. 2:49 *uptempo ska, slower vocals than the original, nice R&B delivery.
8. 3:09 **midtempo rock steady cover of New Orleans R&B classic, with Wilson’s lovely baritone vocals.
9. 3:28 **midtempo rock steady, solid band.
10. 2:11 ***uptempo rock steady, great delivery by Alton Ellis.
11. 2:30 ***jaunty midtempo skank, good band, fun.
12. 2:15 ***terrific bouncy midtempo rock steady instrumental – not much “Raunchy”, more like “My Boy Lollipop”…
13. 2:42 ***midtempo boppy shuffle, goofy noises and somewhat mangled lyrics, but who’s counting…
14. 3:07 ****fine uptempo skank from tremendously popular duet (Marcia became one of Marley’s I-Threes later – she can sing!)
15. 2:46 *somewhat downtempo rock steady, almost falsetto tenor vocals.
16. 2:09 **rather downtempo rock steady shuffle, classic sound, mangled lyrics but nice delivery.
17. 2:42 ***same bells at start as original, then fine midtempo skank.
18. 2:11 *uptempo skank, nice stuff.
19. 2:37 ***dramatic intro, midtempo Reggae bubble, cool baritone vocals.
20. 3:29 *midtempo bubble, tenor vocals that sound like they were recorded in the shower.