|Dj Vadim / Soundcatcher, The|
|Add Date:||2007-04-15||Pull Date:||2007-06-17||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||17 Jun||10 Jun||3 Jun||20 May||13 May||6 May||29 Apr||22 Apr|
|1.||Sun, 29 Mar 15:||lionel hutz|
cease and desist
|4.||Sat, 02 Jun 07:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|2.||Sat, 16 Jun 07:||Steven|
|5.||Sat, 02 Jun 07:||Aims|
|3.||Sat, 09 Jun 07:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|6.||Mon, 28 May 07:||Sadie O.|
DJ Vadim – The Soundcatcher|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 4/13/07
Dubbed up hip hop, reggae, funk, some stuff that doesn’t fit into neat categories… Lots of guests, lots of quite odd bits, starts and stops – definitely interesting stuff, but more dub than reggae or dance… Only tracks 2 and 17 are really Reggae – 17’s my favorite.
FCCs – one on track 13 and several on track 15.
1. 0:24 scratching and sped up talking intro
2. 5:07 **2 seconds of record hiss, then slow roots skank, lots of dubby sounds, light male singing, some toasting. Very sparse dub in middle.
3. 6:01 slow soul groove, a bit smooth-jazzish, dubby, female urban soul vocals, lots of effects.
4. 3:30 ***starts with bit of disconnected female vocals, then sort of midtempo handdrums and funk, female hip hop vocals. Very cool beat. Bits of Indian vocals, lots of hand drum.
5. 2:46 ***starts with “the sound of the letter V”, then slow hip hop and handclaps, male hip hop vocals, funky.
6. 3:14 *slight bit of talking at start, downtempo and a bit funky, swingy.
7. 5:24 **low bloops and intro in French, then very fast French rap with midtempo hip hop beat and lots of effects. Female soul singing in English. Ends 40 seconds shy then has male speaking in English about music.
8. 4:12 *bit of unidentifiable female singing, then slow and very sparce hip hop dub instrumental. Notable violins, bit of male speaking in English about rock that turns into really nutty preaching.
9. 4:50 ***flute and male hip hop intro, midtempo funky beat with middle eastern flutes, male hip hop vocals mostly in English, some in Spanish. False ending about 50 seconds from end, then just beat and violin.
10. 4:18 ***downtempo swingy Latin/Reggae with female singing. Big dub.
11. 3:55 **funky midtempo hip hop beat, very old school beat and rap.
12. 4:23 *slow percussion, jazzy horns, choir… very dub, odd.
13. 4:40 FCC: “fuck” **sparse percussion and frogs, Jamaican male vocals, male rap with British accent
14. 4:26 **slow Reggae beat with female humming/singing, odd stuff
15. 4:14 FCC: “motherfuckers” x 2, “mindfuck” *slow smooth groove hip hop, male rapping. Morphs into midtempo funky skank, with ethereal noises and a bit of female singing
16. 3:37 *midtempo funky beat, stops and starts, glitchy. Relaxed vibe, despite the rather random music.
17. 5:00 ****midtempo roots Reggae skank with Jamaican toasting. Nice!