|Smith, Eric / Rocky Road|
|Artist:||Smith, Eric||Added:||May 2007|
|Add Date:||2007-05-20||Pull Date:||2007-07-22||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Jul 22||Jul 15||Jul 1||Jun 10||Jun 3||May 27|
|1.||May 03, 2008:||New World Disorderly Peace |
|4.||Jul 14, 2007:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Aug 04, 2007:||New World Disorder |
Tour The World
|5.||Jun 09, 2007:||New World Disorder |
|3.||Jul 21, 2007:||New World Disorder |
|6.||Jun 07, 2007:||A2Z |
Reviewed by Sadie O., 5/17/07|
Classic-sounding roots Reggae, based heavily on Black Uhuru and other classic sounds. Fine sounds, excellent vocals, interesting lyrics (often with that subtle touch of herb-based Rasta ranting). Apparently he does all the vocals (the backing vocals sound female), and I can’t find where he gets the riddims – but it sounds good.
No FCCs detected – mostly very religious/sociopolitical lyrics.
5 and 7 are outstanding, many others excellent.
1. 4:26 ***midtempo roots skank (taken from Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner by Black Uhuru) – sweet Rasta lyrics/vocals.
2. 5:32 **rather uptempo roots bubble with buzzing electronics – also familiar riddim. All sorts of biblical and other references, extremely odd bit of preaching at end.
3. 4:19 ***syndrum and “wolf” noises – midtempo roots skank.
4. 4:44 ****standard Rasta preaching at start, then downtempo skank with electric guitar, stand firm lyrics.
5. 3:36 *****sparce electronic riddim, fine vocal delivery and lyrics.
6. 4:10 starts with BBC broadcast about 911. Rather uptempo electronic riddim, rather odd recounting of events. Ends several seconds early.
7. 5:28 *****insanely great electronic riddim, midtempo skank, Zion lyrics.
8. 4:00 **uptempo bubble, Rasta panoply lyrics.
9. 4:18 ***midtempo bubble, pretty vocals, freedom song.
10. 3:53 **midtempo electronic bubble, bit of hiccuppy Jacob Miller style vocals. Love gone bad lyrics.
11. 4:12 ****terrific slightly downtempo skank with electric guitar and triangle, stand firm lyrics.
12. 5:58 ***midtempo bubble with syndrum, Rasta lyrics.
13. 4:38 starts about 4 seconds late. ***midtempo syncopated electronic skank based on “Exodus”, anti-war lyrics.
14. 4:29 ***uptempo electronic riddim, very familiar… pot lyrics reminiscent of Black Uhuru. Yay! Ends several seconds short.
15. 3:56 ***Nyahbinghi drums and guitar flourishes, bit of pan pipes. Quite pretty.
|1.||Tour The World||8.||All These Things Unfold|
|2.||Jah Jah Bless||9.||Warder Boy|
|4.||World Dominance||11.||Passa Passa|
|5.||Oil War||12.||Stand Up Strong|
|15.||Selassie I Rule|