|Various Artists / Essential Dub|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||May 2007|
|Add Date:||2007-05-27||Pull Date:||2007-07-29||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Jul 29||Jul 22||Jul 15||Jul 8||Jul 1||Jun 24||Jun 17||Jun 10|
|1.||Dec 05, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|4.||Oct 02, 2007:||4 0clock socks |
|2.||Jun 07, 2008:||New World Disorder |
|5.||Jul 28, 2007:||New World Disorder |
|3.||Feb 08, 2008:||6ft underground |
|6.||Jul 21, 2007:||New World Disorder |
[coll]: Essential Dub|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 5/21/07
Great collection of roots skank dub from the 80’s to present. Most cuts are in a close mid-to-downtempo range, most are classic one-drop beat, but there’s lots of variation of style within those parameters.
No FCCs – very few vocals recognizable (tracks 5 and 8 have actual lyrics). I like 2, 3, 8 and 9 best.
1. 4:50 ***jungle noises for 20 seconds or so, then classic roots dub, quite downtempo, plenty of channels fading in and out.
2. 5:24 ****midtempo upbeat skank with bloopy noises, mostly sparse but with lots of bounce.
3. 4:11 ****random drum intro, fantastic midtempo skank with double-time drum, lots of electronica, bit of melodica. So good it’s silly!
4. 3:54 ***short spoken intro, then sweet midtempo skank with lots of horns, very rootsy.
5. 4:07 ***starts with slight bit of singing, then rather downtempo skank, nice bassline, vocals throughout.
6. 2:15 **electronic noises and squeaks, then very spacey and inscrutable guitar noises over slightly downtempo skank.
7. 6:28 ***electronic intro, then forceful downtempo skank, great bass.
8. 3:39 ****bouncy midtempo skank with singing.
9. 2:53 ****spoken intro, then midtempo soul strut skank. Very old-school, fun.
10. 3:48 **classic rather downtempo skank with melodica, some kind of chimes. Pretty.
11. 4:12 **midtempo skank, with lots of electronica and processed vocals and glitchy bits. Much more “modern” sound.
12. 4:05 **uptempo with double-time handdrums, processed vocals, very “exotic” sound, electronic and trance-y.
13. 4:50 **electronic squeeps, then relaxed midtempo bubble, pretty guitar and electronic squawks.
14. 4:54 ***midtempo bubble, solid bass line, what may be a farfisa.