|Album:||I Be Hawaiian||Collection:||Reggae|
|Label:||Way Out West Music|
|Add Date:||2007-05-27||Pull Date:||2007-07-29||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Jul 29||Jul 15||Jul 8||Jul 1||Jun 3|
|1.||Mar 13, 2020:||KZSU Training Hour
|4.||Nov 24, 2008:||Happy Hour
|2.||Feb 21, 2013:||Happy Hour
|5.||May 26, 2008:||Happy Hour - Coverin' for PACC
|3.||Nov 08, 2012:||Happy Hour
|6.||Jul 28, 2007:||New World Disorder
Reviewed by Sadie O., 5/23/07
Very political Hawaiian reggae. Much better than most Hawaiian reggae, which seems to be mostly sappy love songs. Lots of freedom songs, a few personal songs. Mana (which is a widespread term denoting spiritual strength) has a very nice voice, although a lot of the music and vocals are a bit commercial-sounding for my tastes. However, there are a lot of really strong, worthwhile songs.
No FCCs noted. Track 14 is best, 7, 11 and 13 are good too.
1. 3:15 *slow intro with very unhappy woman talking about Hawaiian oppression. Downtempo skank. Need a revolution lyrics.
2. 4:09 *midtempo electronic dancehall/skank, Hawaiian pride/bum dem lyrics.
3. 4:07 **midtempo, syncopated electronic dancehall, sad story about crystal meth abuse – apparently a huge problem in Hawaii, as it appears on most CDs.
4. 4:05 **downtempo and subdued roots skank, strong Hawaiian socio-political lyrics.
5. 4:54 *midtempo skank, more Hawaiian socio-politics. Frankly rather generic music, but strong message.
6. 3:58 downbeat, subdued music, sad personal song about divorce.
7. 3:25 ***short chanted intro, midtempo skank, strong lyrics and delivery. Abrupt ending.
8. 4:11 **strong midtempo roots skank, diatribe against musical plagiarism. Startlingly pretty bit of acoustic guitar.
9. 3:29 midtempo commercial riddim, some female vocals, wedding song for his wife. Sweet, and totally not my bag…
10. 4:01 **midtempo electronic dancehall skank, freedom song.
11. 3:14 ***very pretty midtempo roots skank – sweet, but not cloying. Should be naughty, but it isn’t.
12. 3:44 **hard midtempo electronic dancehall skank, rather “R&B” lyrics and delivery.
13. 4:10 ***midtempo roots skank, Hawaiian freedom lyrics.
14. 3:45 ****midtempo roots skank, a bit subdued but strong music, freedom lyrics.
15. 4:00 VERY slow and relaxed acoustic guitar, song about family and loss.
|2.||I Be Hawaiian||9.||Kuuipo|
|4.||Be Alright||11.||Skankin In The Bedroom|
|5.||Never Again||12.||Moemoea Woman|
|6.||Pick Up The Pieces||13.||Out For More|