|Heptones, The / Sweet Talking|
|Artist:||Heptones, The||Added:||May 2007|
|Add Date:||2007-06-03||Pull Date:||2007-08-05||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Aug 5||Jul 29||Jul 22||Jul 15||Jul 1||Jun 24||Jun 17||Jun 10|
|1.||Jul 08, 2008:||The Twilight Zone |
|4.||Sep 17, 2007:||poo&pee |
|2.||Feb 08, 2008:||6ft underground |
Let's Try (Extended Mix)
|5.||Aug 26, 2007:||poo&pee |
|3.||Nov 06, 2007:||poo&pee |
|6.||Aug 04, 2007:||New World Disorder |
The Heptones – Sweet Talking|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 5/29/07
Very early Rock Steady/Reggae from one of the greatest Reggae vocal groups of all time. Unfortunately, this is a while before Leroy Sibbles penned classics like “Book of Rules”, and most songs are fairly standard love songs. Masters often seem a bit thin-sounding. That said, the Heptones are GREAT, and there are some real classics here.
No FCCs. Track 1 is fantastic, 5, 12-14 and 18 fine as well.
1. *****Great, rollicking rock steady! Terrific lyrics and harmonies.
2. **downtempo rock steady, soaring backing harmonies, sweet lead vocal, lyrics have little to do with title – actually happy love song.
3. **uptempo but relaxed rock steady bubble, sweet love song.
4. **downtempo, pretty love song, not much backing harmony.
5. ***rather thin production, but nice uptempo roots bubble, fine harmonies. Good lyrics about self-sufficiency. Includes instrumental “version” which gets really dubby as it goes along.
6. **midtempo rock steady with horns, rather breathy love song.
7. **midtempo minor key skank, somewhat odd lyrics apparently about forgiveness.
8. **rather uptempo skank with horns, diatribe against bad woman.
9. *alarmingly jaunty rock steady, “Mrs. Brown You’ve Got a Lovely Daughter” type lyrics.
10. *mellow rock steady, cover of the Sam Cooke song popularized by Dr. Hook.
11. **midtempo rock steady, sweet love song, nice harmonies.
12. ***classic midtempo skank, very high vocals, love song, big hit.
13. ***midtempo bubble, Black power song, rather reminiscent of the Temptations political songs. Very sparce production, especially in the “version”.
14. ****upbeat bubble, strong beat, love song.
15. **baby crying at intro, then very uptempo bubble. Positive lyrics.
16. **midtempo skank, based on “Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen”.
17. **midtempo rock steady, solo vocals, heartbreak song.
18. ***classic midtempo rock steady, full harmonies, love song.