|Scea, Paul / Contemporary Residents|
|Artist:||Scea, Paul||Added:||Jul 2007|
|Add Date:||2007-08-05||Pull Date:||2007-10-07||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||Sep 16||Aug 26|
|1.||Sep 04, 2009:||Memory Select |
El Gran Palenque
|3.||Aug 24, 2007:||No Cover, No Minimum |
El Gran Palenque
|2.||Sep 09, 2007:||Raymundos stunt double |
PAUL SCEA: Contemporary Residents|
Multi-instrumentalist Scea piles on the electronics, running saxophones and trumpet through effects boxes or augmenting melodies with wind and guitar synthesizers. Sounding like late-period Miles Davis at times, this album is rhythmically intriguing. Overlapped or hybrid meters keep things off-balance, while tweaked harmonics and reptilian basslines parry with harsh, taunting horns. Woof!
Fo’s Picks: 1, 4, 8, maybe 5-7?
1. 4:30 – teasing theme; horns sound like a synth; short solos, then all-in…
2. 6:40 – meandering, overlapped meters, solos for bass, wind synth, alto sax
3. 12:51 – shifting Peruvian-funky rhythm, bleating effects on horns, muddy guitar solo, long drum break, bass/drums ride a groove for 3 mins.
4. 6:17 – slow & low: weird Miles-ish melody, horn effects, bubbly middle
5. 6:39 – guitar synth intro, then mysterioso fusion in 11/8 time, with flute
6. 5:51 – slow horn harmonies, secretive guitar, crazy sax waaay in the back
7. 5:11 – tweaked-out synths run around in a low, sneaky groove
8. 9:14 – odd meter, long melodic line, lots going on beneath the surface
9. 1:25 – cool bass & bongo thing in 7/4, synth tones & mellow flute on top.
[ Fo ] 4-Aug-07
|1.||El Gran Palenque||5.||Cacastrophy|
|2.||Enhanced Infusion Of Legitimacy||6.||Set Of Three|
|3.||Ana Namuc||7.||Enduring Exponents|
|4.||One Seven||8.||Contemporary Residents|
|9.||Hali Dat Go Lahkkodit Mu Hearggi?|