|Pelican / City Of Echos|
|Album:||City Of Echos||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2007-08-12||Pull Date:||2007-10-14||Charts:||Loud|
|Week Ending:||14 Oct||7 Oct||30 Sep||16 Sep||9 Sep||2 Sep||26 Aug||19 Aug|
|1.||Thu, 12 Apr 12:||aj|
The Fall of Math
|4.||Wed, 07 Oct 09:||Adam & Luke|
|2.||Sat, 22 Oct 11:||D. Cannibal|
|5.||Wed, 25 Feb 09:||bobbi|
public noize racket
|3.||Wed, 15 Dec 10:||mr. esq.|
A Taste of Esquire
|6.||Thu, 27 Nov 08:||Wedge|
PELICAN - "City of Echoes" CD (HydraHead)|
Beautiful instrumental heavy rock. It's always been a little hard for me to describe PELICAN. Post-metal? Post-rock? Post-hardcore? The guitar tones and melody lines of the two guitar players is the center of PELICAN'S music but despite the beauty of the guitars the band can get very heavy and huge sounding. In the same world as OROKU, CULT OF LUNA, and RED SPAROWES . From Chicago and this is their 3rd full length. The members are also in the bands TUSK and LAIR OF THE MINOTAUR. This album isn't as heavy as their previous releases and hasn't progressed much from their last album.
**1. Starts out slow with lots of different guitar sounds, eventually gets heavy with double bass drums.
2. Surprisingly the longest song at just over 7 minutes. Beautiful melodic guitar. Simple. Bordering on cheesy. Song somewhat surprisingly kicks into a heavy sound.
3. One guitar note to begin. The drums and bass quietly join in. Slight indie rock/post rock leanings. Track doesn't get heavy until the last 30 second when they really kick it into overdrive.
4. Acoustic guitar? Pretty but seems like only a partial idea.
**5. Slow, big and slightly doom sound. Then some of their super tight chugging guitar sounds. Quiet midsection, feedback ending.
6. Big drums at the beginning. More straight ahead heavy track. Ends sort of abrupt.
7. Slow, melodic and a bit without it's own identity.
8. Quiet, mellow, and pretty almost slowcore sound. Only gets loud for about 30 seconds.
Good stuff. -mph
|1.||Bliss In Concrete||5.||Dead Between The Walls|
|2.||City Of Echoes||6.||Lost In The Headlights|
|3.||Spaceship Broken-Parts Needed||7.||Far From Fields|
|4.||Winds With Hands||8.||A Delicate Sense Of Balance|