|Haltli, Frode / Passing Images|
|Artist:||Haltli, Frode||Added:||Aug 2007|
|Add Date:||2008-05-18||Pull Date:||2008-07-20||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||Jul 20||Jul 13||Jun 22||Jun 1||May 25|
|1.||Jul 16, 2008:||Baptism of Solitude |
|4.||Jun 18, 2008:||Baptism of Solitude |
|2.||Jul 11, 2008:||Memory Select |
Jag Haver Ingen Karare
|5.||May 28, 2008:||Baptism of Solitude |
|3.||Jul 11, 2008:||Oatmeal |
|6.||May 21, 2008:||Baptism of Solitude |
FRODE HALTLI - "Passing Images" (ECM)|
Somber, introspective accordion led modern classical. The first thing to point out is that while this is folk influenced classical music it is made by just accordion, trumpet, viola and voice. There is a patience that feels like it comes from HALTLI also being an improviser. There are Norwegian folk influences including a psalm from Norway and a waltz from HALTLI'S home village. HALTLI on accordion, ARVE HENRIKSEN (SUPERSILENT, FOOD) on trumpet, MAJA RATKJE (FE-MAIL, SPUNK) on vocals, and GARTH KNOX (ARDITTI STRING QUARTET) on viola. He is a master at drawing out very long notes on his accordion.
*1. Slow, patient accordion. Somber and hopeful. He does get a little discordant but still with a lot of space and patience. The second half of the track the other musicians join in. Some soft humming from RATKJE and beautiful, melodic, lyrical sounds from the trumpet and viola.
2. Short vocal improvisation with some clanking on the viola, accordion or both.
3. Norwegian folk influence but also very soundtrack sounding. Viola leads. Quiet ending with distant vocals.
*4. Starts with vocal noises and quiet percussion from taping on the instruments. Sounds improvised. Track gets more active as it goes along and at one point RATKJE makes some high pitched squeals.
*5. Slow, nice solo accordion that takes it's time turning into what sounds like a waltz. After 3 minutes the trumpet takes the lead and the accordion gets noisier add experimental vocal noises. This morphs slowly into a slightly circus-like folky waltz.
6. Droning accordion. Then busy interaction between viola and accordion.
7. Oscillating or pulsing vocals and trumpet. Eventually the accordion joins in. After a few minutes the folk influences become apparent. This track is a bit odd. Not sure it goes very far. Very quiet over the last minute or so.
*8. Slow, quiet, accordion and viola with vague Middle Eastern sound at the beginning. Lyrical trumpet. Somber.
9. Quiet beginning with pulsing accordion. Most of the track is quiet and minimal.
10. Slightly soundtrack sounding. Viola, trumpet and vocals sing in unison while the accordion wanders.
Great stuff!! -mph
|2.||Inter||7.||Jag Haver Ingen Karare|
|3.||The Letter||8.||Lyrisk Vals|