|Various Artists / Live At The Monterey Jazz Festival: Highlights, Vol. 1|
|Album:||Live At The Monterey Jazz Festival: Highlights, Vol. 1||Collection:||Jazz|
|Label:||Concord Music Group, Inc.|
|Add Date:||2007-09-09||Pull Date:||2007-11-11||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||11 Nov||21 Oct||14 Oct||7 Oct||30 Sep||23 Sep||16 Sep|
|1.||Fri, 14 Aug 15:||Be Sharp|
|4.||Thu, 08 Nov 07:||Sunshine|
Sunshine ... in the Afternoon
|2.||Tue, 16 Sep 14:||Trish|
Jump, Jive, & Jazz
|5.||Tue, 16 Oct 07:||Decca|
At the Cafe Bohemian
|3.||Mon, 11 Aug 14:||Don Farrell|
|6.||Fri, 12 Oct 07:||Fo|
No Cover, No Minimum
As the festival approaches its 50th anniversary, they give us a present with this selection of classic performances (never before released) recorded live throughout the history of the event. Superstars at the top of their game include Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Dizzy Gillespie, and others. Excellent! One star every track.|
1. :28 seconds of Dizzy introducing Satchmo. Can lead into #2.
2. Slow, classic New Orleans w/that distinctive voice. So smooth…
3. Muted horn, cool piano/bass/perc. A tight, swinging arrangement.
4. Slow, dreamy piano – thoughtful fem vocals. Simple & sad.
5. Tripping piano bop w/a playful, unpredictable flair. Yow!
6. Downtempo blues w/heartfelt vox/guitar. Greasy & good.
7. Disney classic w/alternating rhythms & hip guitar/sax/perc.
8. Lazy and thoughtful w/some very cool guitar work.
9. Down/midtempo w/soaring vox backed by hip trio.
10. Wickedly hip mid/upbeat sax-driven bop w/a free-n-easy feel.
11. Way fun lazily upbeat Caribbean-wiggle w/fun vocals.