|Upground / Feel The Vibe|
|Album:||Feel The Vibe||Collection:||Reggae|
|Label:||South Ferris Records|
|Add Date:||2007-09-23||Pull Date:||2007-11-25||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||25 Nov||11 Nov||4 Nov||28 Oct||21 Oct||14 Oct||7 Oct||30 Sep|
|1.||Jul 07, 2011:||Happy Hour |
Feel The Vibe
|4.||Nov 21, 2007:||Erin is Disorderly |
|2.||Jan 19, 2009:||Happy Hour (Coverin' for PACC) |
Hot Fudge Sundae
|5.||Nov 06, 2007:||Ripridah Radio Vol 3 |
|3.||Nov 25, 2007:||New World Disorder |
|6.||Nov 04, 2007:||New World Disorder |
Hot Fudge Sundae
Upground – Feel the Vibe|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 9/8/07
Latin Ska (with a bit of Cumbia and Reggae) from LA. Fun sounds, terrific band (esp. horns, bass and percussion). The only thing I DON’T love about the album is that they made the last two songs into one track – the “hidden track” routine is getting really old and isn’t fun to listen to and hella sucks for radio play! Boo on that – but yay on everything else!
No FCCs that I heard. I like track 6 best just because I’m a total funk sucker. Everything is good to great, IMO.
1. ***funny spoken intro, the uptempo B&W-style ska, very high energy. Political diatribe, English. False ending, then long horn flourish.
2. **sweet midtempo cumbia, nice horns and lots of percussion. In Spanish.
3. ***midtempo roots reggae skank with Latin overtones, in Spanish and English.
4. ***midtempo roots skank, but with a bit of cumbia, in English.
5. **fast skank turning into frank ska, in English. Interesting bit towards the end with guitars imitating sirens..
6. ****bit of spoken word intro, then midtempo uber-funk, in English. God, I’m a sucker for funk… The bass KILLS.
7. **fast almost-ska with big band horns. Turns into uptempo ska, in English. Café sounds at end blend into next track.
8. ***uptempo and energetic cumbia, in Spanish, but with lots of guitar solo.
9. **several seconds of tuning radio dial sounds, then fast ska. False ending 18 seconds from end.
10. ***sort of an uptempo mambo-ska, in English. Slows down to a rather slinky vibe. Gets random for a bit, then big drum solo and back to ska.
11. **short intro, rather uptempo ska, in English and Spanish. Fun lyrics.
12. **horror movie intro, fast ska, in Spanish and English – about Dia de los Muertos.. Naturally, it’s not 7:18 long – it ends 4:06 from end. Another song starts 3:03 from end, uptempo funky ska instrumental. Nice stuff – I wish they’d separated it out for radio…
|1.||Skanking Monkeys||7.||Big Mistake|
|3.||Oye Chica||9.||Irie Eyes|
|4.||Feel The Vibe||10.||Accept It|
|5.||Night Stick No||11.||Mr. Duran|
|6.||Hot Fudge Sundae||12.||Suerte De Mi Muerte|