|Ahleuchatistas / Even In The Midst....|
|Album:||Even In The Midst....||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2007-12-31||Pull Date:||2008-03-03|
|Week Ending:||2 Mar||13 Jan||6 Jan|
|1.||May 15, 2012:||overtones |
|4.||Jan 07, 2008:||I <3 Life & Yr Callous Neglect/Refusal |
|2.||Feb 29, 2008:||Memory Select |
|5.||Jan 02, 2008:||Baptism of Solitude |
|3.||Jan 11, 2008:||Rorschach's Dance |
Swimming Underwater With A Cat On Your Back
AHLEUCHATISTAS - "Even in the Midst..." CD (Cuneiform)|
Instrumental math rock, indie rock, post rock, and a little prog rock. A three piece, drums, bass, and guitar. A refreshing take on math rock in that they don't just play fast, heavy and complex. It sounds like there are jazz interactions between the musicians sometimes but without playing jazz. They slow down at times and have nice melodic sections. I hear similar sounds to UPSILON ACRUX or HELLA.
**1. Subtle, noodle-y, and prog-y. Good mix of noodling around vs. getting into a groove.
2. Melodic, nice jazzy drumming.
3. Drums more upfront.
4. Jazzy runs. Short
5. Odd sounds out of the guitar or bass (bowing?). Sparse. Never rocks.
**6. Starts with quiet repetitive guitar riff. Builds and builds, teases some, builds some more, throws in a YES riff, and never climaxes.
7. Teasing noodle-y guitar which turns into more aggressive math rock.
8. Normal rock guitar with short aggressive bursts.
**9. Double bass drums? Slightly heavier. Reminds me a little of HELLA.
10. Uneventful beginning turns more aggressive. Lots of changes including some quiet moments. Boring last 2 minutes.
**11. YES-like prog.
12. Mellow jazzy beginning. Never rocks.
OK stuff. -mph