|Kioku / Both Far And Near|
|Album:||Both Far And Near||Collection:||Jazz|
|Label:||Quiet Design Records|
|Add Date:||2007-10-28||Pull Date:||2007-12-30||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||23 Dec||25 Nov||18 Nov||4 Nov|
|1.||Jul 31, 2010:||Music Casserole |
|4.||Nov 16, 2007:||Memory Select |
|2.||Dec 21, 2007:||Memory Select |
|5.||Nov 16, 2007:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|3.||Nov 23, 2007:||Memory Select |
|6.||Nov 02, 2007:||Memory Select |
KIOKU: Both Far and Near |
Quiet Design, 2007
ASIAN-TINGED JAZZ IMPROV – Using saxophones, taiko drums, gongs and live electronics, this New York trio mixes traditional Asian music and avant-garde jazz into a blend that’s whisper-quiet at one moment, ballsy and driving the next.
Fo’s Picks: 1 is awesome. 4-6 also nice.
1. 11:39 – Korean prayer song: drum & gong build it up, then let it loose with biting sax improv and windy electronic blasts. Hoo-boy!
2. 09:17 – piercing soprano sax, tinkly percussion, slow drum solo w/effects
3. 11:31 – Coltrane/Elvin Jones piece: a slow, spacious meditation, with solo drum/percussion taking up most of the middle.
4. 14:31 – atmospheric gongs & crowd noise, then a quiet, gamelan-like walk, slow sax exploration, builds up, explodes, funky strut, gentle ending.
5. 10:05 – Japanese folk song: slow sax melody, electronic waves, tinkly percussion gives way with rolling taiko section; repeats.
6. 04:39 – gently meditative Keith Jarrett piece arranged for sax & laptop
[ Fo ] 27-Oct-07
|3.||The Drum Thing||6.||Spirits 16|