|Various Artists / When Rhythm Was King|
|Album:||When Rhythm Was King||Collection:||Reggae|
|Add Date:||2007-10-21||Pull Date:||2007-12-23||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||23 Dec||16 Dec||9 Dec||2 Dec||25 Nov||18 Nov||11 Nov||4 Nov|
|1.||Mar 10, 2011:||Buford J. Sharkley's Obesity Jamzzz |
|4.||Dec 16, 2007:||New World Disorder |
Things A Come Up To Bump
|2.||Dec 23, 2007:||New World Disorder |
Why Oh Why
|5.||Dec 09, 2007:||New World Disorder |
Me And You
|3.||Dec 17, 2007:||Rorschach's Dance |
Come On Home
|6.||Dec 02, 2007:||New World Disorder |
[coll]: When Rhythm Was King|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 10/16/07
Fine collection of Rock Steady to early Reggae cuts from Studio One, most of which will be unknown but vaguely familiar to Reggae fans. The point of the comp is that these are the originals of the riddims with the most “versions” used for other cuts – in many cases over 100! Reggae producers very early on realized that they had more singers on their hands than studio musicians, so they used the same backing tracks over and over, if they got the crowd moving. Hence all the CDs we get with the same riddim and 20 different takes by different artists. Here we get to hear the roots of that, dating back to the late 60’s to late 70’s. I’m a sucker for Rock Steady, so this makes me feel good all over.
No FCCs detected. I like 5, 10, 16 best, but it’s all yummy.
1. **very downtempo, bass-heavy rock steady skank, toast by duo extremely popular in the 70’s.
2. **midtempo lover’s rock bubble with lots of horns, falsetto vocals.
3. ***short intro, midtempo skanking shuffle, cool singing in minor key.
4. ***midtempo early rock steady, fine vocals by a guy I’ve never heard of (!), with sweet harmonies. This is the kind of rock steady that turned me on to Reggae…
5. ****Dillinger’s signature goofy toasting over a fine early bubble with lots of keyboards.
6. **lover’s rock bubble, smooth vocals (Sugar Minott was named after his voice…)
7. ***strong midtempo skank, heavy echo on vocals by a major early rock steady star.
8. **mellow midtempo lover’s rock, sweet vocals and harmonies.
9. ***fine rock steady with cool horns and stuttering guitar, vocal harmonies.
10. ****downtempo skank, fine and full-bodied, great vocals by another rock steady great. This is the poop, straight up!
11. **downtempo reggae hip wiggler, vocal trio.
12. ***midtempo early rock steady bounce, fine vocal trio with Marley-esque lead.
13. ***snakey and bouncy, classic trumpet line, solid vocals.
14. **odd reedy midtempo reggae bubble, fine Rasta vocals from one of the biggest stars. A bit of dub in second part, showcasing guitar and keyboards.
15. **downtempo mellow reggae bubble, upful lyrics.
16. ****classic midtempo rock steady, sweet vocals, nice up the dance with this one!
17. ***sweet lover’s rock, rude and fun lyrics by a great vocal trio.
18. **downtempo rock steady bubble, instrumental showcasing horns, definitely a familiar riddim.