|Album:||None Shall Pass||Collection:||Hip-hop|
|Artist:||Aesop Rock||Added:||Oct 2007|
|Add Date:||2007-10-21||Pull Date:||2007-12-23||Charts:||Hip-Hop|
|Week Ending:||Dec 23||Dec 16||Dec 9||Dec 2||Nov 25||Nov 18||Nov 11||Nov 4|
|1.||Oct 26, 2015:||Happy Hour
|4.||Jun 22, 2012:||Flipping Through Time
None Shall Pass
|2.||Sep 28, 2013:||Music Casserole
Bring Back Pluto
|5.||Mar 30, 2012:||Late Jams
None Shall Pass
|3.||Nov 11, 2012:||MHz Broadcast 11.11.12
|6.||Dec 29, 2011:||Happy Hour
One of the best rappers going and it's hard to believe it's been 10+ years that he's been doing his thing. Words, lots of words. Almost every track by AESOP ROCK is full of many, many words, often telling wonderful stories if you can connect the dots. There are a few changes this time, more hooks, with a few sing-song-y choruses and even rock/pop tunes instead of beats. A lot of the beats are forgettable but AESOP'S rhyming carries most of the tracks. His wife, Allyson Baker (PARCHMAN FARM) plays guitar on a few tracks (1, 3, 8, 12, & 14), EL-P shows up on a few tracks (7, 10), CAGE shows up on track 6, and JOHN DARNIELLE (MOUNTAIN GOATS) shows up on track 14.
1. CAMU TAO and ROB SONIC guest. The riff is somewhat psychedelic rock which changes into some straight funk that sounds like a 70s funk track slowed way down.
**2. Super catchy. Faster upbeat beat and keys, sped up vocals. If the chorus wasn't, well, such a chorus I'd love this.
3. Scratching, slower, darker, big basic beat. Doesn't go very far.
**4. Jazzy bass and bluesy guitar loop. Sample of an educational record that lists the planets. Goes with the title, "Bring Back Pluto".
**5. Slower, bass loop, multiple AESOP vocal lines. Lots of words that are hard to follow. Nice physics sample about an object in rest.
6. CAGE and BREEZY BREWIN guest. Organ. Repetitive. AESOP'S rap is solid but I could pass on the rest.
7. EL-P guests. Funky. MR. LIF sample.
8. ROB SONIC guests. Dark, slower and a bit too sing-songy.
**9. Bigger simple bass line. "Kill, the television". Lots of words some scratching.
**10. You can tell this is produced by EL-P. He also guests on the track. Slight scifi leanings in the background.
11. Jazz loop, some scratching, minimal music...all AESOP'S rhyme.
12. The music could be a James Bond theme. Lots of organ/keys.
13. Slight old school feel from ROB SONIC. Dark. The beat and music are sorta weak.
14. Manipulated female jazz vocal. Crappy guitar.
**15. Sounds from the street, talking, begging. Blues guitar, hand-claps, slow rap. About cops.
Good stuff, not as good as his last release. -mph
|1.||Keep Off The Lawn||8.||The Harbor Is Yours|
|2.||None Shall Pass||9.||Citronella|
|3.||Catacomb Kids||10.||Gun For The Whole Family|
|4.||Bring Back Pluto||11.||Five Fingers|
|6.||Getaway Car||13.||Dark Heart News|