|Perry, Lee "Scratch" / End Of An American Dream, The|
|Album:||End Of An American Dream, The||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Perry, Lee "Scratch"||Added:||11/2007|
|Add Date:||2007-11-11||Pull Date:||2008-01-13||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||6 Jan||30 Dec||23 Dec||16 Dec||9 Dec||2 Dec||25 Nov||18 Nov|
|1.||Dec 16, 2014:||night court |
|4.||Jan 19, 2008:||New World Disorder |
|2.||May 24, 2008:||The Twilight Zone |
|5.||Jan 02, 2008:||Eran Mukamel (sub) |
|3.||Feb 07, 2008:||Happy Hour |
|6.||Dec 30, 2007:||New World Disorder |
I Am New Yorker
Lee “Scratch” Perry – The End of an American Dream|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 11/8/07
Funky jazzy dubby skanky laid-back UTTER MADNESS. Sweet, quite mellow musical grooves from the great dubmaster, and train of thought improvisation from the nether regions of a truly strange brain. Is he a wise fool or a great swami or just smoking bales and bales of pot? Who cares? I just pity whoever doesn’t get to play this record as soon as possible…
Most lyrics are pretty undecipherable at any speed, but –
FCC on track 10. I like 9 and 14 best, but they’re all just MAD…
1. 4:54 ***downtempo funk skank, mellow, laid-back vocals almost skat extemporizing. A few stops and starts.
2. 0:22 church bell, electronic squawks, bit of diatribe.
3. 5:43 **downtempo and mellow but bouncy riddim, sad lyrics with lots of echo, American Babylon self-destruction.
4. 5:01 ***somewhat unstructured intro for almost a minute, then uptempo electronic dancehall riddim, very stoned vocals. Soft echoes and bleeps for last several seconds.
5. 0:11 random bit
6. 4:40 ***quite slow dancehall skank, extremely minimalist, completely bizarre lyrics. Monks will be at the party tonight… Bacteria, apparently, will NOT. Gets quite funky as it goes along.
7. 5:00 ***brief spoken intro, downtempo funky groove, layered vocals. Don’t try to make sense of this unless you’re on acid. Fades several seconds from end.
8. 0:28 riot sounds and recitation.
9. 5:15 ****hip hop groove with funky one-drop beat. Somebody repeats “New York”, and when he stops, Lee Perry talks wildness. Stops and comes back with more urgency. Vocal echoes for last half minute.
10. 6:50 FCC: “shit” ***uptempo and complex electronic dancehall groove, rubber band sounds.
11. 5:34 **slow, rather funky skank, lots of nonsense. No, I mean even more than all the other tracks – seriously!
12. 5:06 ***funky jazzy something (maybe it’s just cause he keeps saying “jazzam shazzam”….) Electronic critter dying at end, as far as I can tell.
13. 5:33 ***bongos, crows, coughing, midtempo dancehall skank.
14. 4:48 ****brief intro, then downtempo electronic funk skank, great voodoo insanity lyrics.
15. 0:12 Lee Perry is NUTS.
16. 4:49 ***guns, scratching, samples, jazzy funky groove…
|1.||Disarm||9.||I Am New Yorker|
|2.||Are You Ready?||10.||Teddy Bear|
|3.||The End Of An American Dream||11.||Hallo Jamaica|
|4.||One God Rain||12.||Shazam|
|5.||So Be It||13.||Memories|
|6.||I Will Be There||14.||Vooba Skooba|
|7.||I Am The God Of Fire||15.||Cats Bats Rats|
|8.||The Lord's Prayer||16.||Disco Cats|