|N'dour, Youssou / Rokku Mi Rokka|
|Album:||Rokku Mi Rokka||Collection:||World|
|Artist:||N'dour, Youssou||Added:||Nov 2007|
|Add Date:||2007-11-18||Pull Date:||2008-01-20||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Jan 20||Jan 13||Jan 6||Dec 30||Dec 23||Dec 16||Dec 9||Dec 2|
|1.||Jul 27, 2017:||melange |
Wake Up (It's Africa Calling), 4-4-44
|4.||Jan 22, 2008:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|2.||Jan 23, 2012:||Afro Beats |
|5.||Jan 15, 2008:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|3.||Apr 14, 2009:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|6.||Jan 11, 2008:||No Cover, No Minimum (sub) |
A new release from this man is always cause for joy in the world music community. Rokku mi Rokka (Give and Take) is yet another delicious gift. Joyous, Senegalese mbalaz-inflused rhythms w/hints of the desert and touches of blues, reggae, even Cuba. Joined by his longtime band Super Etoile, it’s a total lovefest featuring his warm, engaging voice. Every track is a delight.|
1. Upbeat, catchy, instant joy. With lots of brass, perc & hot vocals.
2. Fun head-nodding bounce w/an insistent hook & lots of style.
3. Relaxed sway w/nicely driving strings and extra good vocals.
4. Party! Wiggly upbeat jam w/hot perc and voice. Fast & furious.
5. Midtempo w/hints of North Africa and a cool driving sound.
6. Sweetly upbeat w/light marimba. Gets into a nice jam.
7. Upbeat perc/soaring vocals. Sweet throughout, busy near end.
8. Slow a capella intro then cool guitar/perc, midtempo & catchy.
9. Lazy w/hints of the Carribbean. A warm salt-air type of sway.
10. Warm mid/upbeat and life-affirming anthem-esque. Yum!
11. Insistent beat, duet w/ Neneh Cherry, partly in English. Very cool.
|11.||Wake Up (It's Africa Calling)|