|Various Artists / Latin Reggae|
|Label:||Putumayo World Music|
|Add Date:||2008-02-10||Pull Date:||2008-04-13||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||13 Apr||6 Apr||30 Mar||23 Mar||16 Mar||9 Mar||2 Mar||24 Feb|
|1.||May 15, 2017:||Happy Hour |
|4.||Jun 19, 2008:||Happy Hour |
|2.||Nov 03, 2014:||Clean Copper Radio |
|5.||Apr 12, 2008:||New World Disorder |
|3.||Jun 25, 2009:||Happy Hour |
|6.||Apr 12, 2008:||The Twilight Zone |
[coll]: Latin Reggae|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 2/7/08
Roots Reggae, mostly from Spain and South America. Slanted toward the sweeter and rootsier end, with nothing from the manic ska bands of Mexico and Argentina – maybe that’s a later comp… Way too short and leaves out dozens of fine artists, but definitely top-notch music throughout.
No FCCs detected. All excellent, I like 2, 7 and 9 best.
1. ***mellow and swingy roots skank, almost a slow ska, acoustic guitar and fine horn section, gruff-voiced singer.
2. **** uptempo, slightly dubby skank with lots of fun noises, distinctive singing by one of Spain’s great reggae/hip hop stars. Long, fun muted horn solo.
3. **long intro in English, then mellow downtempo skank, female singing. Appealing sound.
4. ***pretty midtempo bubble, vocal harmonies.
5. **relaxed midtempo syncopated skank with definite Latin rhythm and piano stylings.
6. ***downtempo ska beat with a bit of dubby beat in the background, Latin-tinged horn stylings, vocal harmonies.
7. ****slow, dubby skank by a great NY-based producer, cover of an old Eddie Palmieri salsa number. Cool female vocals.
8. ***downtempo, very rootsy skank, fine sound. Vocals in French as well as Spanish. Nice bit of vocalization in harmony with guitar.
9. ****child speaking intro, then slide guitar and very slow, mellow bubble. Nice mix of Amparo’s and Macaco’s terrific vocals.
10. ***fine rootsy downtempo skank. Mostly male vocals, but a nice female interlude.
11. ***midtempo skank, rather reminiscent of British Reggae of the 70’s, by an Algerian who simply decided to do Reggae in Spanish.