Bembeya Jazz Nacional was founded in 1961 in Beyla, Guinea. It’s delicious guitar-driven Afro-pop-jazz with some Cuban spice thrown in. Plus wicked good percussion, horns, vocals, and lots of funky style. This release is a sort of “best of” from their classic years and recording quality is not the best, many tracks have an old-timey mono sound.
1. Midtempo Afro-funk with sharp brass work.
*2. Relaxed tempo, a tinny old-radio sound.
3. Midtempo, soaring vocals, guitar, perc.
*4. Relaxed funk w/a hip 70s vibe. Picks up later.
5. Big, brassy intro. Upbeat Afro pop funk.
*6. Mid/uptempo w/some cool vocals & great style.
7. Downtempo, almost lazy meandering Afro pop.
*8. Sexy midtempo Afro-Cuban dance.
9. An 18:30-minute epic. Starts upbeat & bright, varys tempo. Includes everything from shades of Hendrix to shimmery Afro funk.