|Various Artists / Blazing Hits: Conscious Reggae Compilation Volume 1|
|Album:||Blazing Hits: Conscious Reggae Compilation Volume 1||Collection:||Reggae|
|Label:||Jah Hi Ya Records|
|Add Date:||2008-03-30||Pull Date:||2008-06-01||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||18 May||11 May||20 Apr||13 Apr||6 Apr|
|1.||Jul 17, 2017:||Everything A to Z 94 |
|4.||Apr 12, 2008:||New World Disorder |
|2.||May 10, 2008:||New World Disorder |
|5.||Apr 12, 2008:||The Twilight Zone |
|3.||Apr 19, 2008:||New World Disorder |
|6.||Apr 05, 2008:||New World Disorder |
Blazing Hits: Conscious Reggae Compilation Volume 1|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 3/28/08
Modern roots Reggae and Dancehall, mostly Rasta and righteousness lyrics. Well-done riddims and a variety of voices. The only vocalist I’ve heard of is Yami Bolo; I suspect the others are from Santa Barbara, where the label lives.
No FCCs detected. I like 2, 6, 8 and 9 best.
1. 4:19 *rather uptempo dancehall skank (very often used riddim), rather cute and innocent paeon to pot. Sweet chorus and hoarse toast.
2. 4:05 ***bouncy dancehall riddim with same hoarse toaster, fun bit of quasi-gospel chorus. Granted, I’m easily amused….
3. 3:50 *sweet danceable midtempo skank, love song to Jah.
4. 3:58 **rather uptempo version of a very often used riddim, really lovely song, very loosely based on the old Black Uhuru “Natural Mystic”.
5. 4:00 *subdued midtempo dancehall skank, hoarse toast, religious.
6. 3:41 ***fun oboe(?)-based boopy riddim, upful dancehall song.
7. 3:51 **syncopated dancehall skank with sax, very attractive singing and female chorus, Rasta lyrics.
8. 4:02 ***very cool midtempo riddim, song about kids and education.
9. 4:06 ***disjointed and fun riddim, sort of a love song. Long fade.
10. 4:12 **preaching intro, dancehall song of respect to teachers (same artist as the children and school song – he’s got an agenda!)
11. 4:12 *same riddim as track 7, hoarse toaster attempting to sing without total success. I’m afraid he might asphyxiate.
12. 4:06 **the only female toaster on the record, respect to women lyrics.
13. 3:54 **nice midtempo riddim, sweet vocals damning the iniquitous. Bun dem! Yup!
14. 4:11 *dubby riddim, hoarse toasting, bun dung Babylon lyrics.