|Various Artists / Greatdebaters, The|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Mar 2008|
|Add Date:||2008-03-30||Pull Date:||2008-06-01||Charts:||Blues|
|Week Ending:||Jun 1||May 25||May 18||May 11||May 4||Apr 27||Apr 20||Apr 13|
|1.||Mar 02, 2019:||blues with a mardi gras feelin' |
It's Tight Like That, How Long Before I Change My Clothes, City Of Refuge, Step It Up & Go, That's What My Baby Likes
|4.||May 27, 2008:||Deep Fried and Sanctified |
Up Above My Head
|2.||May 26, 2018:||blues with a feelin' |
That's What My Baby Likes
|5.||May 20, 2008:||Deep Fried & Sanctified |
|3.||Mar 21, 2009:||Music Casserole |
Begrussing, I've Got Blood In My Eyes For You
|6.||May 17, 2008:||blues with a feelin' |
We Shall Not Be Moved
Various/The Great Debaters Label: Atlantic 2007 Soundtrack|
Reviewed by Andrea – FCC clean
Blues, Jazz, and Gospel classics are deftly brought alive by Alvin Youngblood Hart, Sharon Jones, and the African American Piedmont style string group the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Ever wondered what old time recordings would sound like if they were done today? This is the answer…every track is great.
1) 7:46 Uptempo Gospel ring shout call and response builds to a frenzy.
2) 3:02 Midtempo straight ahead bawdy blues. Ms. Jones is saucy and sassy. “I’m 5 feet standing and 6 feet laying down”.
3) 3:35 Midtempo straight old blues highlights the Carolina Chocolate Drops swinging stringing. Juke joint music
4) 2:20 Midtempo shuffle covering Blind Boy Fuller’s great song with a cajon back beat. Tasty
5) 3:56 Midtempo spicy hokum…Thomas A. Dorsey shares songwriting credits, from before he became a gospel pioneer. Jones improvised this one with the band.
6) 2:43 Folksy version of this Kokomo Arnold take on “keep a knockin’ but you can’t come in.” Great slide.
7) 2:42 Uptempo gospel slide song.
8) 4:16 Uptempo gospel with great call and response and fantastic harmony vocals.
9) 3:16 Slow sweet swing, cover of an Ellington song.
10) 3:50 Upbeat swing tune style of Earl “Fatha” Hines.
11) 3:44 Midtemp blues stroll. Hot Sharon Jones vocals.
12) 4:01 Great straight ahead midtempo blues. Builds
13) 5:04 Mid, blues great falsetto vocals and gorgeous slide licks.
14) 6:03 Slow, gospel with choir. Stunning. Builds ends with rejoicing.
15) 6:29 Slow gospel, gorgeous and then builds. Amen Sister Jones.
16) 2:48 Uptempo piano jazz, the amazing Art Tatum in a relatively crisp recording. Stunner!
17) 3:18 Slow Handel vocal from Marian Anderson. Gorgeous.